300tdi misfires on first startup

Ok so iv just had a 300tdi rebuilt to replace the old knackered one, as far as I’m aware it got new timing kit, head gasket including head skim and new bolts, new turbo core, it’s got boost ring and pin and adjustable boost but now on cold startup this engine needs held to heat for a few seconds then once it fires up it miss’s as in sound like it runs on 3 cylinders. If you rev it you can often hear a couple o pops from the exhaust and plenty white/grey smoke, then all of a sudden it clears. What would all you knowledgeable chaps suggest?

Hope I'm wrong but when I had those exact symptoms, it turned out to be a crack in the head between the coolant jacket and #1 intake(?) valve port. When sat overnight it bled a little coolant into #1 cylinder that took a few seconds to be dispersed on startup. It wasn't visible on inspection, but showed up on a pressure test.

You could probably depressurise or even drain the coolant before the engine cools then see if it still misfires next day? Obviously running an engine with no coolant is a dumb thing to do, and even dumber if you tell your engine builder, and still expect them to sort it out for you afterwards :ph34r: