crankshalf bolt socket

Hi I have got a perkins 4.236 diesel engine with LD start number which I believe was mainly used in massey ferguson tractors and other plant. I want to turn the engine over by hand to see if it is seized or not and was wondering does anybody know what size socket I need to turn the crankshaft over. I've read somewhere that people have tried to turn it over using the flywheel and pry bar but this could cause damage. Any suggestions please. 

You'll be fine if you just apply some mechanical sympathy to whichever method you choose. A pry bar on the ring gear can apply a huge amount of torque.

If it's been sat for a long time pull the injectors out after loosening the two nuts on each side  and pour oil into the bores. Don't put the injectors back in at this point!!
Don't turn the engine without lubricating the bores. If it turns OK then use the starter to blow any remaining oil out before putting the injectors back in.
Disconnect the fuel pipes from the lift pump too and have fresh diesel handy for starting it. Do not attempt to start it with the old filters connected as you may cause irreparable damage to the fuel system components. It'll probably have old CAV filters.

What application is the engine for?

Here's some manuals which are worth a look. 

http://www.moteur-perkins.com/uploads/catalogue/lettre/notice/manuel-perkins-ld-4-236.pdf

http://www.endeavourowners.com/dscsn/info/manuals/4236M Workshop Manual.pdf

Have fun and good luck with your project!!