The three amigos - the saga continues

NeilF

Last year, and being fed up with the three amigos, I passed on the instructions for direct wiring of the shuttle valve block to my garage man to do while he did his annual service. He was quite happy to do that but reported back that the three amigos indicated an actual fault and needs must the shuttle valve block be rebuilt. He took it out and sent it down to a crowd in Cork who rebuilt the unit. A week later and €700-odd Euro lighter, everything seems well - the rebuild kit comes with a new connector, apparently. However, shortly thereafter, the 3 amigos again made their appearance. However, the nature of their return was subtly different: before, the lights came on during driving at random intervals but were extinguished immediately after a restart. Now, the lights often come on when turning on the ignition, and often stay on after turning off and then on the ignition. They will still come on at other times too. Since it was less than a year since the work was done, I went back to my garage man who again took the unit out and sent it down to Cork for a rebuild at no cost to me. However, the 3 amigos are still alive and well. 

I'm beginning to suspect an alternative reason for these 3 guys; has anyone any suggestions? I have my NCT (MOT) test on Saturday and I'd hate for these guys to crash the party.

The thing is, I believe the rebuild kit for the shuttle valve also has a new connector, so I'm not sure how a direct wire job will change things. Given that the lights come on immediately after turning on the ignition, does this suggest a fault between the shuttle valve and the ECU? Where else might I have a dodgy connection?

Edited by NeilF

20 minutes ago, discokev said:

I could be wrong but the fault is a connection inside the block, and new wiring bypasses it. Loads of information if you google three amigos.  Kev.

Yes, thanks - I have the instructions for hardwiring the switches. Just that I believe the rebuild kit for the shuttle valve block comes with a new connector - so the cracking of a circuit board track on the connector shouldn't be an issue; it should be as new. Either the crowd that did the rebuild didn't or there is a fault somewhere else along the line?

You should erase the fault codes cos there might be some hystorical then read again after the amigos are back...IMO you are too focused to that SVS thing while it's possible that now it's something else like a sensor signal issue, without using a proper tester it's just a guessing game which can be inefficient cos there can be many reasons for the 3 amigos others than SVS , 

I've cleared the 4114 code many times and it always comes back. It's always the only fault code. If I assume the crowd in Cork used the proper rebuild kit, the fault must be somewhere else, outside of the SVS, but where?  What might I check next?

Was the SVS switch pack replaced too or just rewired? anyway you'll have to measure resistance across the two wires coming out of it and you should get around 3KOhm with pedal released and 1K with pedal depressed... if you get these readings there is a wiring issue on that circuit(provided the connections were made as required)

On 8/2/2019 at 1:11 PM, sierrafery said:

Was the SVS switch pack replaced too or just rewired? anyway you'll have to measure resistance across the two wires coming out of it and you should get around 3KOhm with pedal released and 1K with pedal depressed... if you get these readings there is a wiring issue on that circuit(provided the connections were made as required)

I'll see if I can identify the wires and put a meter on  them

ps pin 9 (red) and 6 (black)? Can I measure the resistances by just unplugging the multi connector with everything in situ?

Edited by NeilF

You have to undo the wires coming out from the SVS switch pack and measure resistance as i explained... i dont know what you mean with pn 9/ red wire which has nothing to do with SVS while one wire of the SVS must go to earth and the other to the yellow/green wire  pin 6 which goes to the ECU... somrbody didnt get this thing well that's your problem IMO