VCU seems weak

Radical

Hi all,

Is it possible my VCU has gone the other way and become weak?

Had my ird rebuilt (not so expensive in Bulgaria) and checked the rear differential, new oil and that seems fine but the drive to the rear wheels seems extremely weak even in snow it's all most impossible to get them to spin!

If I jack a wheel I can turn it by hand, not too easy but neither is it so hard and the VCU doesn't get walm after driving either.

When I first had the car 20k ago it seemed to work far better, rear wheels would spin in the dirt.

All advice is greatly appreciated :)

neil.

That does sound weak, although the VCU gets weaker in cold temperatures as it relies on the slip heating the fluid and locking. By contrast, mine nearly locked solid in the Bosnian summer (40+ degC).

I'm not sure what, if anything, you can do about it.

Also, where in Bulgaria are you? It's a lovely country and I really want to go back, maybe even to do some off-roading.

Your VCU sounds quite normal - there has to be a substantial difference in speed between the front and rear wheels for the VCU to lock - when the VCU fails it locks - the opposite of what you have - maybe be a heavier approach on the throttle to spin the front wheels will get it to lock up quicker.

On 9/27/2019 at 10:54 AM, FridgeFreezer said:

That does sound weak, although the VCU gets weaker in cold temperatures as it relies on the slip heating the fluid and locking. By contrast, mine nearly locked solid in the Bosnian summer (40+ degC).

I'm not sure what, if anything, you can do about it.

Also, where in Bulgaria are you? It's a lovely country and I really want to go back, maybe even to do some off-roading.

We're just north of Plovdiv in the mountains and it is rather beautiful thanks, feel free to come over we have plenty of land to camp on and at the foot of some beautiful mountains tho I use a dirt bike for exploring them :) we live off grid and just finishing a tiny house on wheels.

That probably explains the lack of drive in the winter months!