Td5 2004 90 power loss

Recently I have been experiencing a loss of power for going uphills, especially in the wet,

Under normal driving conditions the power is slow to come in, like turbo lag, I've not had this before, the power has always gone on virtually straight away.

Anyone out there got any ideas,

Starts OK , just passed it's mot equivelant here in Portugal, and it's importation inspection, so emissions are OK / combustion. Diesel consumption is slightly less here than it was in Spain where it has come from.

Could it be injectors, turbo, filters, air strangulation, I say that because of the poor performance in the heavy rain and spray on the motorway, (unusual conditions for us down here).

I've had it from new , had the injectors changed after an experience with lead free diesel about 6 years ago, apart from that we've done OK, but at a loss with this.

Cheers

HI David and welcome to the forum...

It sounds like you may have a sensor not working correctly. Do you have any access to diagnostics equipment ? (Nanocom or similar?)

This will help you to identify things quicker.

For a start, I'd disconnect the MAF sensor and go for a drive. If it's still the same as when it was connected, it probably needs replacing.

(When disconnected the engine may not rev for the first 10 - 15 seconds)

The engine ECU has a lot of redundancy and will revert to standard maps if most sensors fail. It won't start or run if the crank sensor fails.

When next driving it, see if it feels like a misfire or if the engine is still smooth but down on power. Very hard to diagnose these types of issue without hands on with a diagnostic device and/or a meter. 

If you can lay your hands on diagnostic equipment, the default reading for a dead TD5 MAF is 4.4 gr/hr.

It's also possible to test it with a voltmeter by connecting it to the middle pin and ground on the MAF plug. With the engine at idle. It should read around 2 volts but if it goes left or right by 0.3v then it's most probably dead also.

Have you checked that the turbo waste-gate isn't seized?

Yes well the test was done today, I went out with it connected up then disconnected it.

The result was different, being better with it disconnected, is this the tell tale sign that I need a new Maf or do I have other problems.

I expected it to be the same not a bit better.

Thanks for the help everybody

It would suggest that you need a new MAF. As it was better without, it had resorted to a set map internally (Not optimum, but representative) which was better than the one, incorrect, MAF reading it was getting.

Ideally, if you can source one, get a good quality Siemens replacement.