Typical... last minute MOT situation.

Guest MJG

Who needs daughters???. My 23 year ol has just rung tonight.... oh Dad BTW the MOT on my Corsa expires on Saturday....... just brilliant. :blink:

What are the rules if she takes it to the local MOT testing station and it fails (It will it's a P-reg with 120Kon the clock...) but brings it away for me to do the work. :unsure:

The free re-test seems to have died a death, so what will the costs be if she brings it away and how quickly will I have to be to fix the damn thing........ :huh:

they can allow you to take it away for small items then return it once fixed for no charge .

but not emissions and brakes apparently as they have to log into the computer again to do these tests.

why not book a test for early next week and give it a look over the weekend?

that way it gives you a fighting chance for it to pass and not fail on something silly or obvious to you.

luckily a local garage will do an MOT check before they MOT test it to save on failures.

Who needs daughters???. My 23 year ol has just rung tonight.... oh Dad BTW the MOT on my Corsa expires on Saturday....... just brilliant. :blink:

What are the rules if she takes it to the local MOT testing station and it fails (It will it's a P-reg with 120Kon the clock...) but brings it away for me to do the work. :unsure:

The free re-test seems to have died a death, so what will the costs be if she brings it away and how quickly will I have to be to fix the damn thing........ :huh:

According to my last refusal of an mot test cert: if the vehicle is left at the testing station for repair and is retested before the end of 10 days then only a partial retest is needed for which no fee is charged

if the vehicle is removed for repair and returned within 10 working days a partial retest is needed and a fee may be charged.

check out www.vosa.gov.uk

hope this helps

Pete

MOT stations vary, the VOSA information is a guideline only. Some garages will charge you for a partial or full retest, and others will not. they are not legally required to. If it fails the MOT, then you can drive it home or to a place of repair - providing it is safe to do so, and within the law, and it doesn't matter who does the repair work. The time allowed for a re-test varies as well, I get 2-weeks, but some garages only give you 24-hrs. I would also recommned you steer clear of 'special offer, cheap MOT's' - your vehicle is a lot more likely to fail an MOT at these places as this is how they make their money.

Les. :)

Thanks for the fast replies - unfortunately won't have chance this w/e to look it over, hence my annoyance for her leaving it so late.

She will just have to take pot luck - see what it fails on and hope I can get chance to fix it within a reasonable timescale.

Thanks again folks.

but only if you get caught... :D

my landy was over due by 3 months by the time I realised.. luckily she sailed through... and I didn't get caught..

my house mate (policeman for Met) said I was a lucky person for not getting caught - anything like a main road or motroway has camers to pick you up now (assuming you have been tested via the new MOT system that is), but as I only do country lanes I was lucky.

In that case, if you drive it to the test station once the MOT has expired, you are committing an offence, unless you book it in advance.

In that case, if you drive it to the test station once the MOT has expired, you are committing an offence, unless you book it in advance.

You are of course correct - I didn't make it clear it will be to a pre-booked appointment.