1/4" router bit in 8mm collet?

dantastic

I have just got delivery of a new router. A DeWalt dcw604.

Online it is marketed as both 1/4" and also as 8mm. On the DeWalt website it says " 8mm (1/4") ". It came with only one collet in the box.

My old router came with 3 collets, 6mm, 1/4" and 8mm. I have 1/4" and 8mm bits I want to use and I somewhat expected this one to also come with 2-3 collets.

I have tried it out with a 8mm bit and it's a perfect fit. I have not even tried with a 1/4" bit.

So my question is, should it work? I don't think so myself but I'd be delighted to be wrong, if the one collet worked with a range of different it sizes.

Ok, after much detective work I have found the answer to this. For anyone else googling this, there are 2 different versions, DCW604NT-XJ and DCW604NT-GB. The latter one comes with a 1/4" collet. I have not seen the GB version for sale anywhere, only the XJ version. The XJ comes with a 8mm collet. I have found the collets for the router, a standard enough thing but at the time of writing most spec pages are not yet updated to include the model number of the newer routers. So if you're looking, here they are:

Dewalt DE6950 = 6mm

Dewalt DE6951 = 1/4"

Dewalt DE6952 = 8mm

• 6 months later...
On 4/2/2020 at 2:42 PM, dantastic said:

Ok, after much detective work I have found the answer to this. For anyone else googling this, there are 2 different versions, DCW604NT-XJ and DCW604NT-GB. The latter one comes with a 1/4" collet. I have not seen the GB version for sale anywhere, only the XJ version. The XJ comes with a 8mm collet. I have found the collets for the router, a standard enough thing but at the time of writing most spec pages are not yet updated to include the model number of the newer routers. So if you're looking, here they are:

Dewalt DE6950 = 6mm

Dewalt DE6951 = 1/4"

Dewalt DE6952 = 8mm

Thank you dantastic for the info. I have just purchased a DCW604NT-XJ thinking it was a dedicated 1/4 router as described for sale, only to find an 8mm collet only supplied! Why do Dewalt do this, it is misrepresentation and i'm annoyed with dealers not telling customers of this anomally at point of sale?