Range rover classic 1994 tell tale lights

I almost had it all. After 9 years off the road, I nearly got an MOT yesterday. A frame ball joint, SRS lamp on, Petrol leak on steel return pipe, hi beam tell tale lamp not working.

I thought I would do the simple one first, the hi beam tell tale lamp not working. I very gentle got the plastic body out, had to unplug some connectors to access the bulb holders. I swapped the hi beam holder and bulb with the indicator one and YES,YES,YES hi beam tell tale is working. I got my tester out and checked for continuity on the hi beam bulb but it's ok so put it back in the indicator spot and hey, both working. Job done so i thought. I gently eased the body back in and thought ok let's just check again. Now NOTHING working, only the hi bean and indicator tell tale and the SRS of course.

PLEASE HELP !!!!!!!     1994 3.9V8 softdash

Where do I start? It's booked in for the ball joint, fuel leak and SRS lamp fault early next week.

Just to add to the mystery (for me) but the illuminations (night time) lights also aren't working, from the steering stalk switch. Is there a master fuse for them? When I put the hazzard switch on the tell tail red light works so there must be another power supply to them I guess.

Hi I would check all the connectors you unplugged to ensure theat were plugged in to their correct partners (if possible to confuse), no corrosion, petroleum jelly helps here, are making good contact. Regards (94RRC August)

Edited by walace58
Typos

Oh Many thanks for reply, yes I did do all that earlier. However, I have solved it. I picked up a thread here with a similar problem, that being a blown fuse (no.14 main fuse box) instruments and reversing lights. So checked the reversing lights and yes, they were NOT on, so pulled the 10A and it was blown. Thank God. Now I can sleep easy tonight. Next week MoT and after 9 years, back on the road again (I think that's a song somewhere)? Cheers, Paul

Best wishes they are marvellous beasts when ok. Mine went for mot, service ( and a bit of welding!) beginning of March. Caught by lockdown, so got it back yesterday! Went in with central locking blowing a fuse. Drying out in the garage seemed to cure it!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, The beast is still at the garage. I forgot to mention that it fail 2nd run on the emissions. My mechanic got into the engine management computer and said all looked ok even the lambda sensors working. I've just bought a new Y exhaust down pipe with cats, hope these will catch any bad gases. The only thing is this bloody SRS warning light. I may go into the garage and ask if I can spend the day fiddling with everything. It's the only thing now stopping a re-test. Got 2 q's:  Is there a relay for the SRS system? Is there a fuse in the main fuse box for the ignition system? The tell-tale no charge lamp still isn't working and I wondered if it could be as simple as a blown fuse. And yes it hates water. I'm going to have to address the leaking area under the scuttle panel soon! Many thanks for any advise. Cheers, Paul