S3 - Fan belt length

jessejazza

I'd be grateful if someone could advise on fan belt length. I was going to a job interview today and the temp gauge suddenly soared - managed to pull into a lane before the temp gauge got to red. Fan belt had shredded/ broken. It was new one Allmakes 2829 miles ago - bought from a landrover parts garage. Not to state the obvious but I am fuming!

When I fitted it - it seemed a bit tight and I had to use a screwdriver to lever it onto the pulley. But stretched ok... sometimes that seems to be the case on the cars I have worked on. My neighbour took me to Europarts and correct fan belt has turned out to be even shorter and 14mm wide instead of the expected 10mm. I attempted to fit the 14mm belt but far too short. Alternator 17ACR with 70mm pulley.

I went to my S2 LWB 1968 (dynamo) and the S3 1971 SWB (alternator and seems original wiring not upgraded from a dynamo... if any of that vintage were fitted as such) to measure the pulleys and compare.

waterpump and crankshaft pulley 133 mm diameter on both motors.

S2 dynamo pulley 70mm dia

S3 alternator 70mm dia compared with other alternators (from other cars Fords I have in the junk box 65mm).

My query:

1] Have I got correct pulleys fitted - both vehicles I have are original to the best of my knowledge.  Was it a case with LR at the time that they fitted the same pulleys to both dynamo and alternator motors. I thought a dynamo had larger crankshaft pulleys as the dynamo had to have faster rotation?

2] It would seem that the fan belt width is 10mm and this 14mm item from Europarts is wrong.

3] From what I can deduce the difference of the 70mm dynamo pulley and an alternator pulley (presumably 65mm like other ACR) would indicate that the CORRECT fan belt is the same for both types of generator. There is space for the alternator to be pushed out - I am just wondering if that's the case.

Tomorrow early morning - I am going to fit the LWB fan belt and hope that can last me a few days until I've got another from a LR supplier.

Measure the distance round all the pulleys and go to your local bearing supplier, he will be able to get a v belt to fit that is cheaper than a normal fan belt.  If you can work out the sizing you can also buy from Ebay.  Have you checked that your pulleys are in line as that is the most common cause of belts shredding.

Peter

5 hours ago, Romahomepete said:

Measure the distance round all the pulleys and go to your local bearing supplier, he will be able to get a v belt to fit that is cheaper than a normal fan belt.  If you can work out the sizing you can also buy from Ebay.  Have you checked that your pulleys are in line as that is the most common cause of belts shredding.

Peter

Thanks for your reply. I tried another motor factor after my local agriculture supplier couldn't help (farm machinery have loads of V-belts) and he had the right belt 1050mm in length Gates 6222MC and that is fine for both alternator and dynamo (as I have both on vehicles I checked for anyone interested.

I have done sizing in the past but even a 10-15mm difference is quite a lot. Its my everyday motor, I had to sort something quick and thankfully managed. As for the shredding; the pulleys were cleaned before fitting, checked alignment which you've suggested - the belt was cheap carp from a LR supplier. Surprise surprise - I tend to change belts as routine 2 yearly so haven't had this before in 30 years motoring.

A new belt of substandard rubber is not worth fitting. Buy cheap and buy four times over costs twice as much as buying right in the first place!

Edited by jessejazza

My notes from last fitment:

Fan belt is standard stock 88/109/2-5 Defender

Last belt was FAI 10AV1050

Size is 10 x 1050 (3/8" x 3'-5")

LAND ROVER SERIES 2/3 4CYL - Fan Belt (563132)

COMPATIBLE VEHICLES
Defender All 2.25 and 2.5 naturally aspirated engines
SERIES 2 & 3, 4 CYLINDER ENGINES

Gates 6222MC
BLUE PRINT AD10V1050
DAYCO 10A1050C
MEYLE AVX10X1050
MEYLE 052 010 1050
Dayco 10A1050C
Contitech AVX10x1050
BOSCH 1 987 947 656???

Also fits:
Porsche 924
Rover 825

• Thanks 1

On 6/20/2020 at 4:34 PM, Landrover17H said:

My notes from last fitment:

Fan belt is standard stock 88/109/2-5 Defender

Last belt was FAI 10AV1050

LAND ROVER SERIES 2/3 4CYL - Fan Belt (563132)

COMPATIBLE VEHICLES
Defender All 2.25 and 2.5 naturally aspirated engines
SERIES 2 & 3, 4 CYLINDER ENGINES

Gates 6222MC
BLUE PRINT AD10V1050
DAYCO 10A1050C
MEYLE AVX10X1050
MEYLE 052 010 1050
Dayco 10A1050C
Contitech AVX10x1050
BOSCH 1 987 947 656???