Td5 losing coolant out of the header tank cap 😳

PITBULL

Got a issue with my td5, I seam to be losing coolant but out of the header tank cap? (Have tried a 2nd old cap and a new apparently genuine but didn’t come in a bag) It don’t overheat, I don’t lose heaters, oil looks good, water don’t seam to have oil in it and the pipes don’t go solid but I do get lots of little bubbles out the bleed nipple and into the expansion tank especially when rev’d. Only seams to happen after driving at higher speeds (60-70mph) seams to be ok round town. Any idea what it could be? Also just got a nanocom, is there any tests you can do with that that might point out a problem?

First thing -have you recently drained and refilled the system? Just thinking it may just be air in the ststem. Secondly, the expansion cap needs to be well scrwed on. One place they can leak and not be easy to detect is the drain plug behind the exhaust manifold.

Griff

35 minutes ago, bear said:

First thing -have you recently drained and refilled the system? Just thinking it may just be air in the ststem. Secondly, the expansion cap needs to be well scrwed on. One place they can leak and not be easy to detect is the drain plug behind the exhaust manifold.

Griff

Haven’t recently drained system. I noticed a big puddle under my Land Rover, that’s when I found out it was going over the top of my tank but nowhere seamed to be wet on the vehicle. The puddle has never happened again and I think it might have been just been condensation from the night but it was a lot and it took all day to dry. Round town it’s fine and I haven’t had the puddle since, just comes out after a run at about 60-70mph. 

You can get a kit that tests for 'combustion gases' in the header-tank. I'd suggest getting one of these, and if it shows combustion-gases present then get the cylinder-head lifted and check the head-gasket for any signs of blow-by. And get the head pressure-tested - they can develop combustion-chamber-to-waterway cracks. Catch it early and you can fix it - continue driving with a failing gasket and the head-face can get eroded to the point where the head (and possibly the block) is scrap.

20 minutes ago, Tanuki said:

You can get a kit that tests for 'combustion gases' in the header-tank. I'd suggest getting one of these, and if it shows combustion-gases present then get the cylinder-head lifted and check the head-gasket for any signs of blow-by. And get the head pressure-tested - they can develop combustion-chamber-to-waterway cracks. Catch it early and you can fix it - continue driving with a failing gasket and the head-face can get eroded to the point where the head (and possibly the block) is scrap.

I’m getting it checked on the weekend. It’s got a AMC head on it so hopefully shouldn’t be a issue with the head.