Lake District October 2020

Paulo1975

Hi

I’m here with the family on a week’s holiday.  I’d love to take my D5 on some lanes.  Ideally not too scratchy but don’t mind a bit.  I’ve googled to death and finding clear information is next to impossible - it’s like 3D chess.  Is anyone able to say what I am able to do?  Staying in Elterwater and I know there are lanes here - but the status of them is like trying to nail jelly to a wall.

I don’t have loads of experience and will only be my car so no back up - so nothing too mental!

All help appreciated!

The right answer is to join GLASS, and benefit from / contribute to their database of lanes.

However, Cumbria County Council have a wealth of information on their website. The Hierarchy of Trails Routes page (https://www.cumbria.gov.uk/roads-transport/public-transport-road-safety/countryside-access/hotr/hierarchy_of_trails_routes.asp) identifies vehicular rights of way graded by sustainability. Their Definitive Map page (https://www.cumbria.gov.uk/roads-transport/public-transport-road-safety/countryside-access/Definitive_Map/Definitive_Map.asp) shows Rights of Way by classification, but note the caveat that the page is for illustrative purposes only.