300tdi Defender start circuit

A quick question regarding the starting circuit on the 300tdi. Is it necessary to have the relay under the fuse panel, or is this purely for the immobiliser system? I know he earth of the relay is switched via the immobiliser. The wiring has been chopped about on my vehicle already so I was wondering if this could be removed to help trace an intermittent starting problem. As far as I can see the 200tdi does not have this relay, can anyone confirm this?

cheers

The starter relay coil is inhibited from energising, by the 10AS alarm unit behind the instruments. So the alarm must not be set.

The switched output from the relay is then routed through the immobiliser which is at the front of the battery box and on to the starter solenoid at cranking (if the coil is allowed to energise).

At the same time the immobiliser also sends +12V to the fuel solenoid.

You can bypass this relay. The two signals that you need are a +12V at the IGN switch cranking position direct to the starter motor solenoid (spade terminal) and a +12V IGN ON at the injection pump fuel solenoid. 

Cheers for that PL. I am happy with the wiring to change, the question was more a case of if the ignition switch is up to the task of directly operating the starter solenoid rather than using a relay. The existing alarm has already been ripped out along with the 10as by the previous owner(s). 

Hi Roverdrive, I am a little confused by this thread (I know I helped confuse things by talking about the wrong solenoid).

Are you referring to a 300 or 200TDi? You say that the drawing you have doesn't show a starter relay but my 1996 300TDi certainly does have one. The drawing I use is for a 97MY vehicle but even the oldest 300TDi drawing I have for a 1991-94 vehicle shows a starter relay.

PL

My vehicle is a 300 Tdi. The drawing I normally use is probably the same as yours for the 1997 MY.

In my hunting for info, I found a drawing which indicated it was for a 200 Tdi which did not have the relay, hence my question. Needless to say I can’t find that on line drawing now!