Discovery 1 300tdi slight overheating

Spencerjarvis02

Having slight overheating problems with my car it doesn’t go into the red but goes about 3/4 to 2/3 up after I’ve been driving for a couple hours at 110kph , I’m not loosing any coolant so struggling to figure out what it is. The temp gauge sits just below half when I’m driving around normally, could it be something to do with the thermostat or heater matrix 

Thermostat not fully opening could be a factor, but with a D1 my first suspicion would be a gummed up rad due to age and degraded/dirty coolant.

Had it long?,... got any service history?,.. what sort of ambient temps are there?... we will try and help obviously, but tell us as much as you can, and make it easier for us ..... most D1's here are Diesel but you might have a V8 over there?

Welcome to the forum btw  (top tip, a few pics always draw a response 😉)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks I’ve had the car for over a year it’s a 300tdi with a 5 speed manual on stock size tires so it’s not working too hard to turn them, I have it serviced every 10000 ks and I couldn’t see any problems, it first started overheating when the ambient temp was about 40 degrees celsius but the other day I was driving when it was only 20 at night and it did it slightly, my aircon got a lot worse recently and my heater stopped working so could it be something to do with the heater matrix? when ever it does overheat I pull over and let it cool down every time it slightly goes over half temp wise.

cheers for the warm welcome as well

DB6A67C5-20A7-49F8-AF8F-7B969C3D492E.thumb.jpeg.06e3a1d9346356b80aed91196a0fed04.jpeg

Well with the extra info about the heater not working, ... I would begin to wonder about the efficiency of the water pump? I would start with a thorough coolant flush, then water pump and P gasket (all good stuff to be certain of and not expensive), the heater matrix can only benefit from the flushing. It's a pretty big job to dive in and change the matrix, and pattern parts are not great quality so I wouldn't be in a hurry to change it if you are confident there is no leak.   

• Like 1

I would agree with Blanco. Start at the waterpump. But whilst it's out, flush the system with a propriety cleaner and back flush the rad. Check the viscous coupling. Make sure the new coolant is to Manufactureres Recomended Concentration. Don't use OAT unless used previously. Also clean the outer core of the rad.