Body swapping

Simon_CSK

Most of the electronics are in the body shell. The only things that I know of that are associated with the chassis are the gearbox controls and the injectors. There maybe a controller on the transfer box as well but don't know for sure.

7 minutes ago, qwakers said:

for the mot its a fail if the vin in the screen doesnt match the one on the chassis and the one expected on the reg.

The vin tag is the least of my worries but will bear it in mind

id move all the ecus and wiring looms over with the body. with the body off its easy enough to move the chassis and engine looms over, and it deals with the ecu pairing issues at source. then all you need to worry about is the chassis vin, which can be resolved easily, if not quite legitimately... but who's to know?

Edited by qwakers

3 hours ago, Ed Poore said:

So what do they mean when people like Top Gear say its got a double chassis?

I'm being too lazy to look up images :blush:

As I understand it, the D3 and later use a unibody structure that is essentially load bearing. But unlike most cars, this body sits on a separate chassis instead of having the wheels, engine etc bolted directly or via a subframe to the body. No idea what reasoning LR has to justify the extra weight...

You could say it's evolution: from more or less independent bodywork on the Series (and Defender) over a more rigid body in the RRC/D1, further beefed up for the P38a and finally a full monocoque.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, qwakers said:

id move all the ecus and wiring looms over with the body. with the body off its easy enough to move the chassis and engine looms over, and it deals with the ecu pairing issues at source. then all you need to worry about is the chassis vin, which can be resolved easily, if not quite legitimately... but who's to know?

Agree with your reasoning as there is much less to worry about and everything required to be changed will be clearly visable rather than ECU in the shell that can be covered by trim etc.