new springs on - but got a vibration

Right, finally got around to fitting h/d springs and new radius arm bushes at weekend, but have now noticed a bit of a vibration at around 60mph. Disappears as I get nearer 70. Not horrendous by any means. Could this just be me feeling road bumps a bit more as I havent fitted the h14 yet (reason for fitting h/d springs) so it's light on the front end for the springs, and hence a bit hard?

You wouldn't believe the trouble we had changing the bushes. Even using Rich Hawes's (d-lander) 30 tonne press, it took 2 hours, one needed burning out in the end and one of the metal 'plates' on his press that you rest whatever you're pressing on (you know - the inch thick jobbies) snapped in half! Fun!

But a mahooosive thanks to Rich if you read this!

One day I'll get round to fitting the h14! :rolleyes:

Cheers

James

Did think that, but seeing as they were balanced on Friday, and the weights are still on the rims, I can't see how they could become unbalanced. New tyres going on this week or next, so they'll be re-done then anyway. Wondering if it could be to do with track rod - seeing as had to remove it to gain enough room to drop radius arm on passenger side. Didn't adjust it - just removed it, then replaced it.

Did you do the Panhard rod bushes at the same time? Could be them

How much have the new springs lifted it by without the weight of the winch - enough to show up in the propshaft?

Just a couple more things to check for....

David

Had a look underneath last night and again this morning (in the pouring rain - nice!)

Propshaft moved slightly - re-greased, and uj etc. No obvious play in propshaft though. Did notice v v slight movement where front prop goes into transfer box - again, not being a motor mechanic I assume there must be a rubber seal in there to keep oil in, but should there be any movement? No obvious play in panhard rod either.

Having a look just now though, noticed the track rod rotates slightly (backwards and forwards obviously) where the large rubber bits (are these classed as bushes?) are at the top of the track rod ends. Is this meant to happen? Or do I need new ends?! ;)

Cheers

James

Had a look underneath last night and again this morning (in the pouring rain - nice!)

Propshaft moved slightly - re-greased, and uj etc. No obvious play in propshaft though. Did notice v v slight movement where front prop goes into transfer box - again, not being a motor mechanic I assume there must be a rubber seal in there to keep oil in, but should there be any movement? No obvious play in panhard rod either.

Having a look just now though, noticed the track rod rotates slightly (backwards and forwards obviously) where the large rubber bits (are these classed as bushes?) are at the top of the track rod ends. Is this meant to happen? Or do I need new ends?! ;)

Cheers

James

the rubber bits on the ends of the track rod are ball joints.... check by looking at each of them when some else moves the streeing wheel if there is lateral play then they are worn.

yes there is a rubber seal on the output flange of the Tbox and I think its normal for there to be a small amount of play...

give me a shout as i can give you a hand tracking down the problem if you want... :)