O/T sand blasters

reads90

I am looking at getting a sand blaster as i need to strip and repaint my trailer and thought this would be the best was to get rid of paint and surface rust (thought might come in usefull for the landy too). So i can easyly repaint the trailer. With rust proof stuff and new paint.

Want to use with my compressor but what sand do you use. Is it just normal sand (hope so as i just pick that up of the beach) or does it need to be proper sand that you have to buy form a special shop or somthing

Will a sand blaster do the job i want from it. Ie take off paint and surface rust

Also what is your views on these two items, which is the best one to have

sand blaster

snad blaster 2

I was watching a program on UK History yesterday about WW2 tank restorers. They were sand blasting an old Sherman using a sand mixture supplied from metal casting factories. The sand had partly fused into glass and was then crushed. It worked a treat and brought the rust and old paint off in no time. Mind you the bloke using it was in a full protective body suit with respirator and helmet as it looked fierce stuff.

Neil

If you're buying a hobby type gritblaster you want J-Blast Supafine, sold by Chemco. It's copper slag. It is illegal to use sand with compressed air due to silicosis problems as mentioed above. Expect to pay about £5.00 + vat for 25Kg. It's supposed to be single use, but I recyle it.

Don't bother with the hand-held gun types, you'll always be re-filling it and the steel nozzles don't last long. They are awkward to get into tight corners.

I have an Ace gritblaster, it has a tungsten carbide nozzle and last about 45 mins on a pot full, It's been in regular use for three years and I've not changed the nozzle yet due to wear. I've modified it to take very fine stuff. Note that the mixer, hoses, nozzle, lid gasket and eyebolts are all consumables.

I use a Clarke 14 cfm compressor and it struggles after a while. As the air gets hot it looses its mass and absorbs moisture.

I have made an air-fed helmet from a plastic bucket, an aperture to see out of is covered with a piece of Polycarbonate cut from a drinks bottle, this has to be renewed frequently. Air is fed from outside my booth from a Metro heater motor.

If you're working outside you'll need a good dustmask (Screwfix do one 76804-85)and face protection (22375-85). Again tape a piece of polycarbonate to the shield to preserve it.