wastegate knackered or ok

pinny

the wastegate on my 300tdi appears to do nothing i checked pipe from injector pump to gate valve no leaks should this valve move when the engine is running idle and fast speed if it aint working will vehicle still run smoothly or run sick if i blow down pipe there is no resistance should there be and should gate move help please can this be replaced as it is a seperate to turbo

you wont see the wastegate move unless the engine is underload. the pipe that goes to the injection pump also goes to the output side of the turbo, so you will be able to blow down it with no resistance.

when the turbo pressure builds the pressure in that pipe does two things, one it pushes the diaphram down in the injection pump increasing fueling & two it presses on a sprung loaded diaphram in the wastegate actuator. when the pressure in the turbo exceeds the spring loading in the actuator (which is adjustable on the threaded rod that runs off it) the wastegate opens dumping the excess gas.

you'd know if your wastegate didnt work cause your engine would either never get on boost & be VERY slow if it was stuck open or your engine will go like s*** off a shovel for a little while then explode if its stuck shut.

the only real way to test them i know of is to connect a boost gauge, if your engine holds the correct boost then the wastegate is working correctly.

i drove a volvo 440 turbo with a seized shut wastegate once, it'd spin the wheels by just flooring it in 3rd at about 30mph & leave a T5 for dust. not sure how long it lasted after the garage i worked for sold it to a trader though.