Range Rover Sport TDV8 Gearbox Sump Removal

Simon_CSK

Ok I give up!!

I need to remove the sump from my Range Rover Sport TDV8's gearbox to change the ECU. I have got it dropped but cannot get it out because the tube doesn't doesn't drop low enough is there something I should know about taking it out?

You will most likely have the original plastic sump.  You will need to get a hacksaw and cut the tube which allows the sump to fall away (discard) and then purchase a ZF metal sump with removable filter which can go in (as fitted to BMWs).  With the metal sump fitted you will then in future be able to replace the filter without destroying the sump.

This issue and mod is well known - go onto the UK RRS or the Uk D3/4 forums and all will be revealed.  Some of the metal sumps dont have a drain plug - make sure you get one with it.

This is what you need https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/372685656336?epid=1455913583&_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item56c5cbd110:g:PrIAAOSw5Ohc7WVC&amdata=enc%3AAQAGAAACsPYe5NmHp%2B2JMhMi7yxGiTJkPrKr5t53CooMSQt2orsSafTQYbq3L7RBVAMi0K9cwwe4R39ypwfGLf1XZ6oAdYIHi1mrRfQvwDY5vivcq12H86mazJOdCJVHGfb7vvI%2BlfyCfSw7YK13jFp8edyZKtoEo1xCRP0lnXnBFXsI18p9Bexw7JpdFogyXz%2FVHEX4M1xiYtZ%2B33JQNRFH14KGGD6D2izLzyNKfUEq0tovA3mH%2BJDmgDaOAGkTcLnsx9IvszNiiqYb3IHr0PIpsB98%2Fdpdq6%2B%2FVj9dXhf%2BDfraTkBc4B%2FScLjXF7JsyG8j1cZbKRgntNFxOw%2BK5rWaNQGwREkXRMPPgJ9r54eUveOaeeoOV5l2n1fnhcgrHqk6%2Fpc6bzxnHRZ%2BtiGGMXkENGrJLZBw3sGlNmE%2FnNpbjOuBS%2BcUWD%2FNFX%2BAhHcXyGa%2BEljjP%2BqtvSa%2FDGHpH%2BX1dIG4imGjRrF4%2FLpUpe1lzS9lN%2Bx%2BxY3YZLtoJhewJMff%2BMohQ%2FNspmdJugD5MTIII1VFF4CH34p7bUoPptzCn3gw5J2EkGlPpCzgqPe7y558xxLBFP0w5ef%2FTSvIiLJRixpLi0jd8ERMs6eYSdUlCGWVA7qPIFx3W%2Faw1GssGHdIyuux2e%2FR7ZWh2azNcIucUpYos7odWvVGpPRlQPOdRg3oxeXDDMzcPPmKjeFkbd%2BFPjmc7GJNhKefEzCTs0mhZjb5Wyega1ItSJa7jvG5P2BchHjKAC88nxtFwcctSL0EBKl6qF7TgmckZ0td88T3WxiB5FOq6SdEayWspHtPZySRkJrKJdu4mCDqVlSZsb3ht2C983XPdjAKdhrrSl%2B7hooSxkgTg%2BFcykYbxX0Gs46zK38JxXuTG4vvzrEDAQU4C8AwVEdmzJouuTSAeDOA%2BOn3tkc%3D|clp%3A2334524|tkp%3ABFBM8vLA28xf

8 hours ago, garrycol said:

You will most likely have the original plastic sump.  You will need to get a hacksaw and cut the tube which allows the sump to fall away (discard) and then purchase a ZF metal sump with removable filter which can go in (as fitted to BMWs).  With the metal sump fitted you will then in future be able to replace the filter without destroying the sump.

This issue and mod is well known - go onto the UK RRS or the Uk D3/4 forums and all will be revealed.  Some of the metal sumps dont have a drain plug - make sure you get one with it.

This is what you need https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/372685656336?epid=1455913583&_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item56c5cbd110:g:PrIAAOSw5Ohc7WVC&amdata=enc%3AAQAGAAACsPYe5NmHp%2B2JMhMi7yxGiTJkPrKr5t53CooMSQt2orsSafTQYbq3L7RBVAMi0K9cwwe4R39ypwfGLf1XZ6oAdYIHi1mrRfQvwDY5vivcq12H86mazJOdCJVHGfb7vvI%2BlfyCfSw7YK13jFp8edyZKtoEo1xCRP0lnXnBFXsI18p9Bexw7JpdFogyXz%2FVHEX4M1xiYtZ%2B33JQNRFH14KGGD6D2izLzyNKfUEq0tovA3mH%2BJDmgDaOAGkTcLnsx9IvszNiiqYb3IHr0PIpsB98%2Fdpdq6%2B%2FVj9dXhf%2BDfraTkBc4B%2FScLjXF7JsyG8j1cZbKRgntNFxOw%2BK5rWaNQGwREkXRMPPgJ9r54eUveOaeeoOV5l2n1fnhcgrHqk6%2Fpc6bzxnHRZ%2BtiGGMXkENGrJLZBw3sGlNmE%2FnNpbjOuBS%2BcUWD%2FNFX%2BAhHcXyGa%2BEljjP%2BqtvSa%2FDGHpH%2BX1dIG4imGjRrF4%2FLpUpe1lzS9lN%2Bx%2BxY3YZLtoJhewJMff%2BMohQ%2FNspmdJugD5MTIII1VFF4CH34p7bUoPptzCn3gw5J2EkGlPpCzgqPe7y558xxLBFP0w5ef%2FTSvIiLJRixpLi0jd8ERMs6eYSdUlCGWVA7qPIFx3W%2Faw1GssGHdIyuux2e%2FR7ZWh2azNcIucUpYos7odWvVGpPRlQPOdRg3oxeXDDMzcPPmKjeFkbd%2BFPjmc7GJNhKefEzCTs0mhZjb5Wyega1ItSJa7jvG5P2BchHjKAC88nxtFwcctSL0EBKl6qF7TgmckZ0td88T3WxiB5FOq6SdEayWspHtPZySRkJrKJdu4mCDqVlSZsb3ht2C983XPdjAKdhrrSl%2B7hooSxkgTg%2BFcykYbxX0Gs46zK38JxXuTG4vvzrEDAQU4C8AwVEdmzJouuTSAeDOA%2BOn3tkc%3D|clp%3A2334524|tkp%3ABFBM8vLA28xf

Garry

Thanks for the reply.

Having thought about it overnight I have just been out and looked at the engine mount nut and with some puffing and panting managed to remove it. Access was a complete nightmare but that is the way of the Sport. With the nut removed on the off side I am hopeful that I can jack/lift the engine just enough to get access. If need be I will take the nearside engine mount bolt off as well.

As this is the donor car I am not putting it back together and the engine is coming out soon anyway. I am going to try and remove it from the front to see if it is possible. I have another Sport waiting in the wings for a Turbo transplant and think it will be better to remove the engine but as I don't have facilities for the body lift it will need to come out of the front.

Will let you know how this goes. 

Yes I was going to suggest that if you really wanted to keep the plastic sump which most don't, you would have to lift the engine up to get the clearance but decided to leave the point as a followup if needed - but you have sussed what is required.  If you are going to use this gearbox later - then definitely consider putting the metal sump on as it makes filter changes so much easier, though the sump still needs to be dropped but you dont have to lift the engine.

2 hours ago, garrycol said:

Yes I was going to suggest that if you really wanted to keep the plastic sump which most don't, you would have to lift the engine up to get the clearance but decided to leave the point as a followup if needed - but you have sussed what is required.  If you are going to use this gearbox later - then definitely consider putting the metal sump on as it makes filter changes so much easier, though the sump still needs to be dropped but you dont have to lift the engine.

The gearbox is going into my L322 when I change the torque converter as I know the gearbox works.

I did some measurements earlier and recon I needed 30mm of clearance to remove the sump. When I did lift the engine the pipe snapped off as I was a little rough with it. That tells me I need to lift both sides of the engine and cannot leave one side bolted. I then removed the gearbox ECU and have managed to damage a small brown plastic fitting attached to the black electrical connections so my next question is where are the brains of the operation? I suspect they are part of the big metal silver box and the black part is just for the electrical connections.

9 hours ago, garrycol said:

I cannot help with that one 🤥.  I would be asking over on the UK RRS or UK D3/D4 forums for that sort of information.

Did some research last night. Unfortunately it is the black part holds the electronic data. Fortunately is is only a locator that has snapped off so I an going to fix it back on with some ultraviolet glue that I bought a while ago.