strange indicator problem

hello all , 

my 1987 110 has developed a rather strange issue , sometimes the turning/flasher indicator on the dashboard start's a violent flashing (really fast , at least double the speed it does when a bulb failes) the indicators don't light at this moment only the warning light.

i then have to move the indicator stalk a few times , or turn the lights on and off to get it to stop flashing.

if it stop's all is back to normal , and all indicators work as they should do.

(one thing that is'nt right at the moment , the trailer symbol flashes with the indicator warning light if i use the indicators (off course there's no trailer coupled) , i think this is a isseu with the flasher relay.

I would replace the flasher unit, 

The trailer ind light with no trailer connected should flash once along with the left or right ind arrow then go out, 

With a trailer connected the trailer ind should flash in unison with the vehicles ind light when left or right is selected.