Series 3 109 2600cc

Rumpus

Hi All

I have a Series 3 109 2600cc, it was built at the Blackheath Plant Cape Town and now here in the Uk. It was originally supplied to the South Afican Air Force but doesn't appear to have a military chassis, no square rear crossmember, removable gearbox crossmember and standard leaf shackles.

My question is would the South African chassis have been the same as the UK one as I need to order some repair sections.

Rob

Welcome to LR4x4,

As far as I know it should be the same as Solihull built chassis'. @Eightpot may know more as he is familiar with African derived LR's.

The 2.6 is a lovely engine and really suits a Series. 

feel free to introduce the 109 and yourself in the members vehicles section - with pic's of course - mandatory :) with all new Series Land Rovers to the forum;)

Steve

I'd say you would be safe buying repair sections - as with most militaries there will be some strange specials with modified chassis, but I'd say an ex air force general service model will be standard. All of my South African series and Defender models that were built in Blackheath have regular chassis other than they did occasionally galvanise them.

If you need to double check anything, the SA4X4 forum is a good font of knowledge and you'll find a good few ex SADF guys on there.  Leimers Land Rovers in gauteng are one of the main spares/repairs/sales companies, if you needed confirmation on a specific part, a polite email might get you a very knowledgable response.

• Like 1

Just a quick thing that occured to me - if your series landy was built after 1980 it's probably an SIII S , which is slightly different and uses a different 6 cylinder engine to the series 2a/3 ex-rover engine.  They have a stage 1 V8/Defender style front grill panel.