LT77 - Knack required to find reverse

Hi again friends

Thanks for all your support with my last few questions. Your responses are helping me shape plans for my defender 90. 

I have another question regarding my gears. I recently had a refurbished LT77 gearbox installed and it has improved my gear changes massively. The only one I seem to have a slight issue with is my reverse. I have to sort of pop it up at a slight angle to find it. 
Someone told me that it may be a spring issue rather than a carp reconditioning job on the LT77

Is anyone aware of any adjustments that I can make to maybe improve this myself? Links to videos welcome.

Someone also recommended that when reverse is sorted I fit a slickshift kit to make it easier for my wife to drive. Any thoughts on this too? 

Thanks all

2 minutes ago, miketomcat said:

Check the reverse switch adjustment as it can affect getting into reverse. The other thing to check is making sure the clutch is disengaging properly a dragging clutch may not notice to much into first because of synchromesh but may cause issues with reverse.

Mike

Thanks Mike, when you say reverse switch adjustment. Do you mean the reverse light switch or some sort of reverse mechanism at the bottom of the gearstick?

1 hour ago, miketomcat said:

Reverse light. It can affect the disco box quite badly but I can't remember how much it effects the defender box so worth checking.

Mike

Ok thank you. I’ll give it a look. I don’t have the reverse light connected but that’s not to say the switch isn’t there. I’ll let you know if I find anything. 

I was starting to have issues with finding gears. I took the gearstick housing off the top of the gbox and found that the set screw which locates the socket which receives the gearstick was loose and not operating the forks properly. 

• Thanks 1