Rims and tyre queries

I brought some 16x7 rims but didnt see they were ET08, i wanted to put 285/75/16 tyres on but now im worried im going to have rub or the tyres will be well more into the wheel arch, what can i do, also im on standard lift but was looking to go higher

ET08 with 285 width tyres should be virtually flush with the eye brows (I assume you have a 90).

Standard ET is 33mm, so the rim comes 25mm further outboard compared to standard, plus half the added width of the tyre.

I don't think the lift matters much, but you might have to trim the eyebrows a bit on full lock, full bump.

What 16x7 rims do you have with that offset? Certainly not a common offset.

Offset is distance from the centre line, so while a stock rim might be ET33, they would normally be 6.5 wide rims, so the amount the rim sticks out will vary with width and offset.

As a rule wider tyres need to be moved outwards, as they will rub the radius arm and massively reduce your steering lock. Go too wide however and you'll end up with tyres sticking outside of the arches. Which in the UK is illegal (Construction & Use Regs, not MoT).

"Technically" you need a minimum of a 7.5" wide rim for a 285/75:

image.thumb.png.be192ca9964ef88e8a69147881795781.png

Although they will physically fit.

The 285 is a fairly chunky tyre, expect a bit more bump steer and probably worse mpg over a standard size. And they 'could' rub the wheel arch spats under full suspension flex (rear more so than the front). Overall I would think that legalities aside, they should fit and look fine.

As for a lift. Well a lift doesn't really allow bigger tyres unless you plan to leave it parked up and never drive it :D This is because under normal suspension compression, the tyre will still move upwards, essentially illuminating the lift. A stiff lift (HD springs) or one that limits up travel might reduce any potential rubbing, but only by being a poor setup limiting suspension travel. Overall I'd be surprised if you had rubbing issues with this size tyre and rim. Apart from maybe the front radius arms still.

35 minutes ago, Chicken Drumstick said:

What 16x7 rims do you have with that offset? Certainly not a common offset.

Offset is distance from the centre line, so while a stock rim might be ET33, they would normally be 6.5 wide rims, so the amount the rim sticks out will vary with width and offset.

As a rule wider tyres need to be moved outwards, as they will rub the radius arm and massively reduce your steering lock. Go too wide however and you'll end up with tyres sticking outside of the arches. Which in the UK is illegal (Construction & Use Regs, not MoT).

"Technically" you need a minimum of a 7.5" wide rim for a 285/75:

image.thumb.png.be192ca9964ef88e8a69147881795781.png

Although they will physically fit.

The 285 is a fairly chunky tyre, expect a bit more bump steer and probably worse mpg over a standard size. And they 'could' rub the wheel arch spats under full suspension flex (rear more so than the front). Overall I would think that legalities aside, they should fit and look fine.

As for a lift. Well a lift doesn't really allow bigger tyres unless you plan to leave it parked up and never drive it :D This is because under normal suspension compression, the tyre will still move upwards, essentially illuminating the lift. A stiff lift (HD springs) or one that limits up travel might reduce any potential rubbing, but only by being a poor setup limiting suspension travel. Overall I'd be surprised if you had rubbing issues with this size tyre and rim. Apart from maybe the front radius arms still.

These are the rims i ended up getting https://www.jgs4x4.co.uk/defender-modular-steel-wheel-black-16x7-set-of-four/

I was trying to get et0 but didn’t realise until after i paid what mistake i made 

I could allways go down in tyre size slightly, i wanted slightly thicker than originally tyres for a more aggressive look, how much do you think i should go down?

ET0 gives you a 16mm wider track compared to ET8. This my landy with 35x10.5x16 tyres, which have a metric size of 285/85/16 size (same width as your tyres basically) with ET08 offset rims:

gallery_336_1371_382929.jpg

3 hours ago, v90 said:

These are the rims i ended up getting https://www.jgs4x4.co.uk/defender-modular-steel-wheel-black-16x7-set-of-four/

I was trying to get et0 but didn’t realise until after i paid what mistake i made 

I could allways go down in tyre size slightly, i wanted slightly thicker than originally tyres for a more aggressive look, how much do you think i should go down?

I think you will be fine. 00 offset on a 7" rim is rare. Most 00 offsets are 8 or 10" rims.

This the tyre doesn't change widths, just there the front and rear face are. The 7j rim on 08 offset means the inner face is in the same place as a 00 offset 8j rim.

image.thumb.png.713a170a6568d36afb2b8ce478743d0f.png

What it does do is change where the centre line of the tyre is.

In terms of sizes, a 285/75 is quite a chunky tyre. But mostly a direct fit on a 90/110. Should be about an inch taller than a standard fitment 235/85, 265/75 or 7.50 x 16. But quite a bit fatter.

A 255/85R16 is a popular aftermarket choice for a Land Rover and would fit those rims well. Taller again by about another 1/2" but less fat. Sadly not very many tread patterns available in this size though.