Engine Conversion

Bloody hell!  Those engine prices are insane!  Given that, I’d find a good Discovery II’s V8 and source the bits to mate it to the LT77, or if I was likely to do much city driving, swap the engine and transmission complete (maybe a transfer gearing rather than the 1.22).  That’d go really nicely and would keep the all-LR theme too.

• Like 1

Hi Reggie, nice landy and welcome to the forum.

Going back to the original question, and looking at these prices I'd get a Turners re manufactured defender 200 TDI engine send over. Any local garage can fit it, you only need a matching TDI radiator pack and exhaust to make it fit, a pure nut and bolt conversion.

A newer gearbox (LT77S, rather than the LT77 you have now) with a 1.4 transfer box would make it more use able, but it is not strictly necessary.

I don't know about your local workshops, but by making the job easy to begin with, any back street garage can do the work.

Regards, Daan