In desperate need of wheels

Since I have sold my Sport I'm March I have been running a Vogue that was solid but in need of various things for the MOT. My initial thought was I would repair my 09 RRS, a turbo change, and use that. My back up was another RRS that needed a suspension pump and the Turbo actuator released. Anyway down to the wire I had an oil pressure issue after the turbo swap and a pump issue after the compressor change.

I found on Facetube a 2009 Vogue with 209k on it that would do for a month while I got one of my cars sorted.

There was very little info in the add but agreed a price more in desperation than anything else knowing I can break it and get my money back. (not another breaker)

Anyhow in discussion with the owner it turned out his uncle owned it virtually for the 200k of the miles and he had it for the last 2 years but needed a car that could go into the Glasgow Lez zone. Big plus very few owners.

Then he told me his uncle used to to put a boat in the water for many years and my heart sank and then soared as he told me his uncle had replaced the rear subframe in its entirety. 

Having had the car for two days, despite the mileage it is a pure gem. I have a near identical car a 2007 with 80k on it that I have been trying to sort a transmission issue for three years which I now need to sort rusty calls on and  this old gent is, for now, much better. 

I am now seriously having to reconsider my views on high mileage cars. And I Co sider anything over 150k a high mileage car.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The follow on from this has been that the 09 Sport passed the MOT with the oil warning light on and have used it a few times. 

Now I had a car with an MOT I decided to try the Vogue and despite the milage it flew through, needs  a trye on advisory so even bought a matching one. I have now done 2000 miles and the fuel economy is better than any other TDV8 I've owned.

• Like 3

I've always maintained that the big diesels, particularly ones with emissions stuff on do best if they're doing at least 10k a year, ideally more. They like being worked and it keeps everything free. A low mileage car of that era will have sat around a lot of the time which doesn't help anything. Bearing in mind an 07 TDV8 is now 17 years old that's 170k by my theories. My 2011 bought a few years back was 125k I think.

Both L322s I've had were bought over 100k and apart from a couple of known issues with that particular model I've only really had wear and tear or damage I've done to them myself.