Range Rover Sport TDV8 Turbo change

I have recently changed the Turbo on one of my cars that I've had for 3 years and not done anything about.

The car is running as sweet as a nut but the exhausts are throwing out blue smoke. I suspect the smoke is as a result of the turbo failure. I have yet to road test it but have had it ticking over at 1700rpm for an hour with no difference.

What can I do to cure the smoke?

On 5/19/2024 at 9:25 PM, Bowie69 said:

If it dumped oil into the exhaust, it will take a looong time to burn off, need to get it on the road and get it really hot. 

Would taking it into my field and driving it around in low box do the same job? The car has been off the road for 3 years and doesn't have an MOT so cannot legally take it on the road unless I book an MOT in London, That would give me a drive of 400 miles lol

12 minutes ago, Simon_CSK said:

Would taking it into my field and driving it around in low box do the same job? The car has been off the road for 3 years and doesn't have an MOT so cannot legally take it on the road unless I book an MOT in London, That would give me a drive of 400 miles lol

In all honesty running on low box won't produce that much heat, the engine isn't really working very hard due to the gearing, 10-20 minutes of cruise at 60 would normally do it, in my experience, and yes I have had it happens a few times just not from turbos :)

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

In all honesty running on low box won't produce that much heat, the engine isn't really working very hard due to the gearing, 10-20 minutes of cruise at 60 would normally do it, in my experience, and yes I have had it happens a few times just not from turbos :)

That's certainly doable. Can get it on the road for 20 minutes easily enough. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/21/2024 at 8:31 AM, Bowie69 said:

Bowie

That worked thanks. Was worried that I hadn't done something correctly. Took the car for a run and it ran fine. First run didn't get out of the village as there was a huge cloud of smoke I think other drivers were worried that my car was on fire. Second run mostly good but third run cleared everything. MOT tomorrow and suspect I may need a new wishbone.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...