88 LR 90 v8 - Weird Electric Cut Out

Hi guys this one is baffling me… 4 times today electrics have totally died, usually when stopping the engine. There is zero power, even to the clock. (Battery’s 13.2v) the strange thing is my tracker is directly connected to the battery and it reports voltage, when it opens the tracker alerts me it’s disconnected and reports less than 1v when it does reconnect and then jumped to 2v then 3v then back in action and so is the rest of the truck and can start again. Baffling me but maybe someone far smarter than me has an idea 😊

Wil have a good dig today and see if any obvious issues. Is there a reason why a fault would cause the tracker, that is directly attached to the battery even get no voltage?

1 hour ago, Mediamab said:

Wil have a good dig today and see if any obvious issues. Is there a reason why a fault would cause the tracker, that is directly attached to the battery even get no voltage?

If the tracker sees 0v then there's 0v where the tracker is attached - could be a dodgy battery connector.

1 minute ago, FridgeFreezer said:

If the tracker sees 0v then there's 0v where the tracker is attached - could be a dodgy battery connector.

It’s connected directly to the main battery terminal connection so I guess worth giving it a good clean. Just seems weird it suddenly all stops for 5mins but then all comes back and is fine again!

3 hours ago, Mediamab said:

It’s connected directly to the main battery terminal connection so I guess worth giving it a good clean. Just seems weird it suddenly all stops for 5mins but then all comes back and is fine again!

Yeah it's definitely a weird fault but I've seen weirder... it's pretty unlikely your actual battery drops to 1-2v and then is fine again so it's got to be connections from there.

Posted (edited)

I have (only once) known a battery to crack internally, so when acting up it measured only a few volts for even a very light load, but then operate normally. Meaure directly across the two battery terminals when it's messing about, but it's pretty unlikely.

I looked at one car (some awful FWD thing) that belonged to a friend. The nearside engine mount had failed, and the excess movement of the engine cut or crushed the earth strap in a really hard-to-see place. That would usually start and run normally, then cut out on potholes randomly.

Edited by TSD