Discovery SRS System

RRX

Hi all

I have a 95 300tdi which after having to take the engine out to sort the rear crank seal and do the clutch on now has the SRS light flashing at me. Any way i can turn it off or any flash codes like normal airbag systems i can look for?

You will need a diagnostic system like Testbook to reset the fault code in the system. Some of the systems reset warning lights after so many drive cycles if the fault disappears but the airbag one does not, no other way I am afraid.

Can't see why taking the engine out would do anything UNLESS you disconnected the steering rods down to the box, and turned the steering wheel into a different position (or more likely by one or more complete turns) if you do this, this will rip the guts out of the rotary coupler behind the wheel, leading to an open circuit in the airbag system and a fault code/light. Bad news is an airbag coupler is a couple of hundred quid!

Nothing steering wise disconnected, nothing srs wise done either which is what confused me. Probably take the led's out of the dash if its a trip to landrover to fix.

It may be as simple as 5 min on the computer to clear a random fault code and I don't know what a UK dealer will charge for that.

No idea - the airbag coupler may just have broken as a coincidence, it does happen and often on vehicles that are much newer than yours.

Your other option is to get a non airbag steering wheel and do away with the system completely - unless you have a passenger airbag too (which is a lot harder to get rid of as you need to change the dash!) nobody will be any the wiser :)

SRS light will come on if the battery disconnected without following a set procedure with the ign key. To prevent the SRS light from coming on; turn ign on, then off and then run round front of car to disconnect battery lead within 8 seconds. Easy when you know how!

I had my light reset at a local dealer. Took a couple of minutes and didn't charge me. However, I did know someone who works there so I suspect not all LR dealers will so generous...

Kev

Hmm - mine never did but mine was a 96MY, maybe 95MY are different. You need a similar procedure to disconnect the battery on a BBUS alarm equipped vehicle to prevent lots of noise but I didn't know it affected the airbag too.