Portalled 4 door Rangey.

bill van snorkle

Due to lack of space for my family in ''WildFing'' my portalled axled SWB series 2 Landy, I have been toying, just toying mind you with the thought of swapping my axles, winch and crawler gearbox into an 89 4 door RangeRover that I picked up a few months back.

My Landey weighs in at 2220 kgs fully equipped including internal cage and seems to have about the right balance of ground pressure and floatation for my purpose on 35/36'' Simex /TSL's.

Because Rangeys have more vulnerable panels and sills I was considering a full external cage with integrated rock sliders and bull bar, but don't really want to end up with something that weighs 3 tons. Anyone out there with a 4 door Rangey with exocage, winch etc that know how much it weighs? I can calculate the additional mass of my portals etc etc.

Bill.

My uncaged, bobtailled RR with diff, & steering guards, winch and bumper and recovery gear came in on the weighbridge a tad under 2200kg.

Its a 200Tdi with autobox.

That is with no cage, no rear seats, no carpet in the back. Standard axles and 235 x 85 tyres.

Hope this helps.

Yep, enjoyed that one, so much more comfy that a defender :o , But as Bill says, very vulnerable to panel damage, Ask Nick (tangoman) :lol: you can get away with the battle scars on a Defender, but a Rangie looks tatty very quickly !!

you can get away with the battle scars on a Defender, but a Rangie looks tatty very quickly !!

Yeah, I had a close look at my Landy today, and there is barely 1 square inch of panelwork that doesn't have a deep scratch, dent or ripple in it, and I tried to imagine the RangeRover like that.

Not a very pretty mental image, so I have gone right off the whole idea.

Bill.