90 Fuel tank sense check.

Gren_T

Hi All, I need a sense check with my 90 fuel tank.

I bought a replacement fuel tank from Paddocks in 2020 normally I keep the fuel level at 1/2 tank minimum, all was well until I run out of fuel during a long run last year with the gauge showing 1/4 of a tank.

I tried to get a new sender but were out of stock in my usual suppliers, so forgot about it until last month when I ran out again.

Fortunately I always carry 10ltrs of diesel and this has got me out of trouble each time I've run out.

I bought a new sender and fitted it, then this week ran out of diesel showing 1/4 tank, I've removed the sender and both senders work correctly when out of the tank.

Looking in the tank I can see the baffle around the pickup, however the baffle cut out is facing the front of the tank whereas the float on the arm faces the rear, it appears the baffle has been welded into the tank the wrong way around and prevents the arm from dropping below 1/4 tank.

If the sender was fitted with the float facing forward the the outlet would be facing the the door(the wrong way) and the float would be prevented from rising due to the lower front part of the tank.

Can anyone confirm this before I start bugging Paddocks, the front of the tank is to the left in the photo.

Cheers

90 Fuel tank baffle

Edited by Gren_T

Thanks for your time chaps, no the arm can't be bent 180 and still be accurate however, I could tweek the arm to clear the baffle but it will shorten the length of the arm to the float.

Besides I hate fudging things like that if I need a new sender it will also have to be tweeked.

going to poke paddocks and see what they say.

Cheers..