clutch slipping

djlee

i have a 2.5 turbo diesel land rover 90.The problem is when the engine heats up the clutch starts to slip. It has had a new clutch fitted so it is not that i have also changed the slave cylinder because i was told it could be that.I was also told the slave cylinder could be heating up because it is next to the exaust pipe does any one have any idea of whats the problem is thanks.

most of the slaves are next to the exhuast on a defender. the fluid in there does not affect the friction of the clutch plate (it just actuates clutch movement)

not doubting you but it is def the clutch slipping is it? (or is it low on power when warm for example? or is the clutch coming away from the crank when warm (fluid heated up?)) and how warm before it starts to happen? was there contamination on the old one when it was changed? rear crank seal maybe if there was?

the only way i can see it being linked to the slave is that the fluid gets hot and actuates the rod to depress the clutch, bringing the clutch slightly away from the crank and hence then slipping, but never heard of it before, how olds the clutch fluid and how close is it to the exhaust is it original engine in original vehicle?

There should be a heat shield between the exhaust and slave cylinder to prevent the fluid from boiling while the vehicle is stationary with the engine running, although I'm not entirely sure what the effect would be if the shield was missing. DOT4 fluid (if new), should be able to handle temperature variations (especially at this time of the year), so I would think little or no noticeable difference. Are you sure the clutch was replaced? Are you sure the slave was replaced?

Les.

As Phil said, check that the pedal pushrod to mastercylinder clearance is correct.

Also check that the flexible hose to the slave cylinder is ok. These can perish on the inside and the delaminating material acts like a one way valve such that after you have been driving(pushing the clutch in an out) for a while, the last bits of fluid from each pedal stroke are slow to return to the master cylinder and so the clutch release mechanism has residual pressure on it, and the clutch will slip.

Heat from the exhaust is not likely to be the problem. If it gets REALLY hot, the fluid would boil causing bubbles, a soggy pedal and would more likely lead to clutch drag. The opposite of clutch slip.

Good luck

Regards,

Diff