New owner of Disco 1 and a few question

klas_h

Just bought a Landrover Discovery -96 V8 and very happy so far (my first LR)

A few questions has arisen as i'm getting used to the vehcile.

When i was going to fill her up for the first time – the “fuel lock” was quite tight and as i opened it i could hear/feel that the tank was pressure equalizing by sucking in air. After this some smoke started to come out from the tank (felt quite warm) – would this come from the engine?

I just picked-up the car and i fitted ~75L in her so i suppose she was pretty dry....however :)

Shouldn’t the tank “equalise” automatically?

Also – the smoke coming out –what could this be? Anything to worry about?

2. The engine becomes very very hot when driving ~20min to work (outside temp of ~26) and with speeds of 0>60. The temp gauge looks on the panel, its just when i exit the car i can hear it being very hot (ticking and twisting) and can hardly put my hand on the engine hood.

Is this normal?

3. Few teething with the Central lock, but i've found a few posts on that with regards so thanks for the help on that.

Appreciate any members thoughts

Otherwise the car run’s very well and is in very good order.

Cheers

Klas

Welcome :)

1. If it is really smoke then it is definitely to worry about if coming out of a petrol tank :blink: if it is vapour then no.

2. Probably not far out, if the temp gauge is normal. I'm assuming as you have a petrol tank rather than a diesel tank its a V8 and they do produce a lot of heat.

check the fuel tank breathers its a small black plastic pipe that is in the top of the tank it normally comes out somewhere around the filler pipe and has a non return valve IIRC. you should be able to blow down it also if the cap is like a diesel one if you do it up tight its non vented if you then turn it back about quater of a turn (you should feel it go lose then tight again) it should be vented it does mention this in the handbook. :ph34r:

the central locking could just be a case of oiling the locks this solved the probs on a friends f*rd ;)

mike