Siezed Wheels & self loosening handbrakes

beng

Having a few hours before I had to do anything important I decided I would change my front brakes - the vibration while braking downhill shakes the whole truck... After the usual faffing I had her up on stands and all the wheel nuts off, but both the front wheels were stuck fast. After much wiggling, hitting and throwing stuff i gave up in search of an easier job - tighten up my non existant handbrake... what an easy job. Got it nice and tight - three notches would hold her on a 20deg incline. Happy again :rolleyes: untill I went for a 5 min drive and I was back to square one, no handbrake.

Any thoughts on how to 1: free the wheels and 2: fix the handbrake (do these symptoms indicate low pads?)

Having a few hours before I had to do anything important I decided I would change my front brakes - the vibration while braking downhill shakes the whole truck... After the usual faffing I had her up on stands and all the wheel nuts off, but both the front wheels were stuck fast. After much wiggling, hitting and throwing stuff i gave up in search of an easier job - tighten up my non existant handbrake... what an easy job. Got it nice and tight - three notches would hold her on a 20deg incline. Happy again :rolleyes: untill I went for a 5 min drive and I was back to square one, no handbrake.

Any thoughts on how to 1: free the wheels and 2: fix the handbrake (do these symptoms indicate low pads?)

Assuming your vehicle is a P38 seized wheels are fairly common on the P38 according to a mate of mine who ran ito this problem with his '99 P38, brute force and a lot of CRC is the only way, he was told by a independant Rangie repairer that he always recommends people change the wheels or at least lossen them on a P38 every 6 months., because they corrode and weld themselves on to either the hub or the drum must be a tollerance thing, my mate uses a silicone grease now to keep the corrosion at bay.

Hope this helps.

Sounds like you need a bigger mallet, Ben... :D

Told you if you bought a rangie it'd take over your life...

Could the handbrake be a slipping cable clamp? Not sure what the linkage is on a P38a.

Correct on all counts...

Big rubber mallet and a friendly helper to spin the wheel :-). Wheels off. Disc on LHS had had screw drilled out... not replaced and disk was wobbly. Replaced with new disc but still no screw... shim on hub tho. RHS stripped head on the guide pin housing... trip to paddocks on saturday :-( Did find interesting things while underneath tho - dampers on rear have sheered off on lower side - hence the bouncy ride and the RHF air spring showing signs of old age - if she were a tyre she would have put points on my license.

It does take over your life - but at least it does it in style.

(PS Geoff, I hear Ric Mac has himself an LPG 4.6 P38 :-) think you started a trend )