DRD - Culmhead

JST

Following on from the success of the DRD at Bampton I are now running days aimed at introducing you to winching and challenge events. It is a non-competitive day, designed for people who are either looking to enter winch challenge events or just fancy getting out and maximising the use of their vehicle.

The purpose of the day is to allow you to get out and about and develop skills with your codriver for winching, spotting etc without the pressures of a competition. (and also have help on hand if you need it!)

The site used is near Wellington, Somerset and has tracks that include water sections, bog, forest driving, steep climbs, side slopes, and descents. Some of the tracks combine several of these features. You will drive these tracks in a convoy of a maximum of 4 vehicles.

The day is run along the same lines as a Bampton DRD, 1000hrs start, 1600hrs finish with a lunch break. You will have time to assess each element before it is attempted. You can also opt out of sections if you wish. Recovery and advice will be on hand as required.

Cost for the day is £40 per vehicle. This includes access to the private tracks, guidance and advice plus recovery as required. You will need to bring your own lunch and we suggest a thermos as well. You may also want to bring your camera and some spare clothing/footwear.

Vehicle requirement:

Tyres: Advised 255/85 (or equivalent) MT tread pattern tyres (7.50 or 235/85R16 min size), no Simex!

Winches: At least one working winch per vehicle.

Snorkel: not essential

MOT/TAX: Vehicle must be road legal, that is current MOT, taxed and insured as public roads will be used to link sections.

First Aid Kit: Each vehicle is to have a first aid kit

Recovery Points: Your vehicle must have suitable front and rear recovery points to enable winches to be used to extract stuck vehicles.

Recovery Kit: You are advised to bring your standard off road recovery equipment including waffles. At a minimum; shackles, tree strops, gloves, shovel, winch sail, snatch block will be needed. Ground anchors are NOT required.

Please be advised that everything you drive you can opt out of (with some reversing) there is a risk of vehicle damage. (this can depend on how well the codriver/driver relationship is working!) The tracks have been driven/Winched with no vehicle damage.

Some pics from route recce:

EntrytoroutesSmall.jpg

BypasssectionsSmall.jpg

descentsSmall.jpg

OutofriverSmall.jpg

SideslopesSmall.jpg

dates can be set to suit.

ooh yeah i will come... oh wait a sec decent sized wheels and winch needed.. ah

more importantly i have been offered a husky style winch although it has a 6 tonne rating removed from a Great Western Energy landy for £300, is that a good price? or is it just impractical winch for a novice

Had a good day being the guinea pig :rolleyes:

Personally, i would see these "introduction" days, as the next step on for a novice ,,from the Drive round days, towards a full challenge event entry,

Certainly more bits to "think" about, and get the winch bitch/driver coordination working, the winch will get a good workout, without the presure to be as quick as possable, Am sure james will be putting in a few punches along the route

In places, you do have the option of the hard or the easy way out,

Best get Victor booked on one :P

ooh yeah i will come... oh wait a sec decent sized wheels and winch needed.. ah

more importantly i have been offered a husky style winch although it has a 6 tonne rating removed from a Great Western Energy landy for £300, is that a good price? or is it just impractical winch for a novice

Ben,, a husky would be fine to start with, then when/if you want to progress further, it can be rear mounted, I have one sat here, waiting to be fitted in the back !!! which came off the front of one of my first defenders , At £ 300, i can not see you losing much after a few years, if you ever wanted to sell it on again,

Ben, is it a Husky or Husky style? i didn't know they did 13,000lb ones. If its a Husky for £300 i don't think you can go wrong. it will need a specific winch bumper though (obviosuly i would recommend Southdown get one made to suit) that and some tyres and you will be good to go.

• 3 weeks later...