shock absorbing Drive flanges

white90

known to anyone with a motorbike as a cush drive :)

Well coming from Ashcrofts is quite a good recommendation but absorbing the shock of a spinning simex when it touches round again? These aren't the sort of loads cush drives were intended to absorb but I guess they can only have a positive affect (just not clear how much).

I wouldnt underestimate a bike cush drive, dealing with 150bhp though a single tyre as opposed to 130hp through 4 tends to prove thier worth.

my racers had to deal with hitting jumps at over 80mph, spinning flat mid air and then hitting tarmac on a full throttle landing - I'd be interested to hear feedback from the trials but if it gives a CV a softening (or even a percentage reduction) of shock loads its got to be a good move IMO

Or just use bigger stronger axles :D

Interesting.... but I wonder for how long the elastic cylinders will retain their shape, I can see that after a short time they will ovalise adding yet more slack in the train drive. :huh:

They really ougt to be shaped to fill up the entire space in the void.

Guest diesel_jim
Interesting.... but I wonder for how long the elastic cylinders will retain their shape, I can see that after a short time they will ovalise adding yet more slack in the train drive. :huh:

Break out the instant silicone gasket tin then, just stuff the nozzle in the voids and fill them up!!

:rolleyes:

hat....

coat....

door slam..... B)

If the elastomeric/cushion elements fill the entire space in the void, they would not be able to compress, which they need to do to absorb the shock loads.

Dave Ashcroft said the cushion elements are polypropylene.

I am not aware of Poisson's ratio for polypropylene, but many people are not aware that rubber which has a Poisson's ratio of about 0.45 is one of the most incompressible materials known (more incompressible than steel). What this means is that extreme forces are required to compess solid materials. Elastic materials have to have space to deform into - the volume of material does not change.