Td5 turbo on a 200 tdi

ciderman

Can any one tell me if it would benifit a 200 tdi Defender by fitting a td5 turbo unit , ?

I have bought one and apart from fabricating a new manifold it lookk an easy(ish) mod , but wondered if it will up the power along with tweakings in the fuel pump.

not a lot Jase

the turbo isn't overly larger than the one you have.

much more boost will see the head gasket failing.

the standard turbo will easily supply 1.5bar which is enough to notice :)

I'm running a stage1 Alisport intercooler 1.35bar boost and the fuel pump adjusted.

plenty enough power for what I use it for.

yours must wieght 150kgs less than mine

can you lose any more weight?(the car not you :) )

saves hunting for power

I would think a more straightforward mod would be to turn up the boost on the std turbo which would have the same effect? The limitation is on the durability of other parts of the engine rather than the turbo, I think.

I think some of the Td5 turbos talk to the ECU (or rather the ECU controls the turbot) in which case it wouldn't really be practical.

I would think a more straightforward mod would be to turn up the boost on the std turbo which would have the same effect? The limitation is on the durability of other parts of the engine rather than the turbo, I think.

I think some of the Td5 turbos talk to the ECU (or rather the ECU controls the turbot) in which case it wouldn't really be practical.

Does the TD5 has a fish in the ECU then :)

not a lot Jase

the turbo isn't overly larger than the one you have.

much more boost will see the head gasket failing.

the standard turbo will easily supply 1.5bar which is enough to notice :)

I'm running a stage1 Alisport intercooler 1.35bar boost and the fuel pump adjusted.

plenty enough power for what I use it for.

yours must wieght 150kgs less than mine

can you lose any more weight?(the car not you :) )

saves hunting for power

It was just an idea that im toying with along with ideas on VVT`s . As the td5 one is kicking around Id thought id put it to use .The IP is going in next week to have some internal tweeks done to the boost shaft and an Intercooler will be on the cards .

And losing weight made me laugh , I cut open the base of the chassis tonight and scraped out half a bucket of mud that has built up over 8 years of abuse and that was just the offside , It weighed in about thye same as an xp motor , So I guess when the nearside is done that will qualify for a loss in weight .

Does the TD5 has a fish in the ECU then :)

Some of the Td5s I have driven are about as obedient as a fish with regard to obeying the instructions issued by the driver via his "driver demand sensor" (who thought of that stupid term?)