Auto to manual?

C.J.

I like my Disco in the main, apart from this ruddy auto box. Sluggish, damned thirsty and doesn't exactly fill me with confidence off road either.

Just how feasible is it to swap the auto to a manual, or would it be a better and more economical option to just change the car? :rolleyes:

I like my Disco in the main, apart from this ruddy auto box. Sluggish, damned thirsty and doesn't exactly fill me with confidence off road either.

Just how feasible is it to swap the auto to a manual, or would it be a better and more economical option to just change the car? :rolleyes:

Why not look at a bigger intercooler chip upgrade (that might give you the performance), and (IMHO) learn a different style of off road driving. If driven differently than a manwel, an auto box can drive vwey well off road.

I have a 1996 300TDi Auto, Which although not the fastest thing in the world holds it own off the traffic lights pretty well, will cruise a 70 on the motorway all day and returns around 30+ish mpg on my normal run to work which is a mix of A and B roads. Off road I found the change from 1st to 2nd when in low range can be a bit harsh but easy enough to drive around. and by shifting manually to low 2nd will quite happily go down most hills offroad in a nice controlled way. I also have 31" tyres which has made it a bit slower of the mark but not hugely so and I intend to fit 1.4:1 transfer box which will help with this.

Mods wise all I have done is remove the EGR valve and fitted a none CAT downpipe. I also cleaned out the inlet manifold and intercooler which definately made it run better.

HTH

Pete.

I have a 1996 300TDi Auto, Which although not the fastest thing in the world holds it own off the traffic lights pretty well, will cruise a 70 on the motorway all day and returns around 30+ish mpg on my normal run to work which is a mix of A and B roads.

Pete.

30....+....ISH? :o

22 here, and that's driving according to the 'how to get extra mpg out of your car for grannies ' manual.

Good job I'm lucky enough to have a bio diesel garage outlet right here on my doorstep @80p per litre.

I've checked the speedo/milo courtesy of Tom Tom, as I thought that the 265/75/16 tyres may have been giving me an overly pessemistic reading.

Astonished to find that the speedo is absolutely bang on accurate right up to 70 mph. :o