Off-road site to close

GBMUD

Anyone know why?

Shame, I like the site, although I ain't been there since Bertha was on the road.... Yep, that long ago!!

They seem to close it every year or so don't they? Normally something to do with nesting birds I think.

There has been an on-going issue with nesting birds, I am not sure that has been the problem though. As long as we keep away from certain areas at certain times of the year that has seemed to be OK. I have heard several rumours but I think it is about the on-going commercial use of the site by a company crushing concrete, re-cycling soil etc. and complaints from the pikeys tennants of the units closer to the road about passing traffic. Not sure.

Chris

There has been an on-going issue with nesting birds, I am not sure that has been the problem though. As long as we keep away from certain areas at certain times of the year that has seemed to be OK. I have heard several rumours but I think it is about the on-going commercial use of the site by a company crushing concrete, re-cycling soil etc. and complaints from the pikeys tennants of the units closer to the road about passing traffic. Not sure.

Chris

I had a chat with John Morgan at Slindon on Sunday and apparantly the twitchers are pretty upset with the land owners making the 4x4 brigade leave because John puts barriers stopping us driving at the sensitive areas during the nesting season. Without the 4x4 brigade there and barriers nothing to protect the birds!

The land owners also had a site visit and were aghast at the H&S implications of partly broken down buildings and people supposedly capable of killing themselves with falling debris. As far as I am concerned, as a marshal for John Morgan, it's the idiots in their 4x4's who are more likely to kill themselves whilst playing (or quad riders on red Honda's and white helmet :unsure: oops!).

The only security on the site is the people at the site entrance keeping an eye on who enters, but if the owners were that concerned about safety then surely they would have their own paid security staff?

There is so much asbestos cladding and roofing on-site I would hesitate to estimate the cost of clearance prior to re-development, the shut-down is probably a knee jerk reaction and we will return sometime in the future?