2.5 dt Turbo Diesel - Injector Pump Diaphragm.

[getting one over on clever dick Ralph]

The part number is 7243-006, and is made by Delphi.

The diaphragm housing is held to the inside side of the injector pump body and with a bit of fiddling you can get the cover off. There's a spring either side of the diaphragm and they are different tensions, so don't get them mixed up.

There's a nut on the back of the diaphragm, which is actually a lock nut. The hole in the centre is for a teensy allen key. What you have to do isslacken the locknut and then turn the allen key (which moves the pin on the opposite side in and out), until the pin protrudes the same amount as your old diaphragm. There might also be a very thin shim washer around the pin in the recess, which you will also have to reuse.

[/getting one over on clever dick Ralph) :D

post-2-1177959468_thumb.jpg

post-2-1177959594_thumb.jpg

Les.

Dear Les,

Many thanks. I am new at this forum lark and it is quite pleasing and refreshing to know that people out there are prepared to help like this.

Oh, and don't be to hard on Ralph, at least he gave me nice smile and a welcome to the forum. I would urge people to read his post about funding (I assume the problem still stands).

Thanks again.

• 10 months later...

Hello there guys

I am tortured with low power at present. 1988 Diesel Turbo 90. Fine in 1st and second but 3 to 5 are sluggish- feels like no juice is getting through even on full pedal. Max speed is 55 tops and maybe 45 on a slope. Oh dear!

Turbo is fine. The rubber downpipe from turbo is fine inside. It is rubber and therefore flexible but the body inside and out is not cracked and it is keeping it's shape. I changed the accentuator arm diaphragm, and the turbo boost pipe - fuel pump. I can blow through it into the pump. There does not appear to be any fuel leak on the pump. The lift pump lever did work to get rid of air after a fuel filter change BUT, the hand pump arm is no longer working - no pressure. I am beginning to think it may have been working poorly all along. I am fitting a new one tomorrow. I wonder if this talk of fuel boost diapragm is important. It might be worth changing. Can anyone show me a pic of where it is on the CAV pump or is there a pic with arrows and annotation I could look at. Those Hanes books never seem to have good annotated pics of a whole unit.

I am also getting a light ticking knock which I can hear via the air filter (K&N) which might suggest air in system?

Anyway, any advice is helpful.

V best

Nick

Symptoms ofthe diapraghm being split are:

Excess (really excess) pressure in the fuel tank

Surging at idle after a fast run, diesel forced/sucked up the pipe from the pump to the turbo making the intake a air/diesel mix

Hi Sgnas

Thanks for your reply. I am ruling out the diaphragm now as I have non of these symptoms.

The tapping/knocking noise is louder now. I can hear it most distinctly through the air filter. It's not banging though. No smoke. I lifted the oil breather cap off and there is a bit of smoke there puffing out but I assume this is normal. It's not overheating. I didn't find water in the oil.

Could be the head gaskett I guess? If it is, the noise is making it's way to the air filter. Does this make any sense? It's a bit like diesel knock, only louder. The pace is in line with each revolution.

SGNAS / LITTLUN

Am I right in thinking that no diesel should be able to travel up the boost pipe towards the injectors? I was able to suck diesel up this pipe from the injector this evening, which by my thinking means the diaphragm is shot because there is supposed ot be only air on the turbo side, and fuel on the pump side. I am assuming the boost pressure in some way causes the item to flex and increase fuel flow to the injectors as turbo power increases?

The boost pipe goes from the turbo to the top of the injector pump and shouldn't have fuel in it. The pipe that goes across the top of all the injectors is the spill rail and should have diesel in it. If you have fuel in the boost pipe then the diaphragm is at fault.

Les.