Alloys and fitting the spare

JST

stupid question probably but having just aquired a very nice set of Alloys from Jim (DSV90) i am after so info on fitting the spare to the rear door.

alloys have a bigger hole for the stud and sleeve/nut that then go on, which means i dont think (no tried yet) that it will go easily on the spare holder as the sleeve will prob go over the nuts closest to the door when the alloys nuts/sleeve is put on. what do new def have on the studs to stop this happening.

2nd prob stupid question, how do you get the silver look cap off the but/sleeve in order to fit them, or does everyone just leave them on and do them up with these fitted?

New Def now have a different spare wheel carrier and the wheel sits against the flat body of that (like on a Discovery) but I think the older type had a big thick threaded washer that sat behind the wheel. I guess you could find some big washers that would slip onto the prongs of the carrier and sit against the nuts to do the same thing, but a dealer ought to be able to supply the proper bits.

The caps stay on the nuts, they should be crimped on (though some of the cheapo non-gen ones aren't and the cap can fall off!) and are slightly loose but don't come off. Unless you regularly use a rattle gun on them that is :ph34r: but if you took it off the nut body would then be too small for a 27mm wheelspanner.

Depending on what size tyres are on there you may also need to fiddle with it to clear the rear wiper arm - 265s certainly need some "adjustment" usually just wind the top inner nut out a bit so it sits a bit crooked on the door.

cheers for the tips SCL, i had 235 on before, so it should be OK depending on the difference in off set i might have to wind the top one in abit.

the question about the caps was driven as one of the nuts i got (a spare anyway) didnt have the silver cap on. a 27mm socket fitted it and it ahd a large O ring at the base which sort of indicated to me that was there to hold the cap on, therefore the caps should come off the others for fitting.

Well they have been fitted now using the 27mm socket on the caps or not caps what ever they are. will look at the spare issue tomorrow.

many thanks

the question about the caps was driven as one of the nuts i got (a spare anyway) didnt have the silver cap on. a 27mm socket fitted it and it ahd a large O ring at the base which sort of indicated to me that was there to hold the cap on, therefore the caps should come off the others for fitting.

If they are like mine, if you look closely the O ring will be fitted in a groove at the base of the "hex" bit the spanner goes onto. The way the caps should be retained is that once on there, it is just given a tap with something like a cold chisel at each "point" of the hex which bends the thin cap into the groove by a mm or so, thus stopping it from falling off. Some of the aftermarket nuts I have seen, the person whose interesting job was doing this must have gone for a tea break so they were just a sliding fit.

Some of the other (older type) nuts have no shiny caps, but are just solid cast things, I can't remember the p/no of those offhand but there are the two types (and there are others, for spare wheels, which have the hole drilled right through) the "capped" ones are ANR2763MMM I think. The ones without shiny caps tend to go rusty, my "free" alloys came with those and they were rusty so I binned them and got the capped ones. Bearmach do either sort for very reasonable prices, that's where mine were from. LR prices are horrific!