110 2.5 Petrol Starter woes

Hi All;

The 110's starter has been playing up of late, tracked down to a faulty/erratic drive.

I won't get into a long story about how difficult it is to obtain 110/Defender parts over here.........

A mate out West lent me a 2.5 diesel starter to try out, i don't think it will work but he says otherwise.........(the drive gear appears to be of a larger diameter)

Now before i remove the present starter (again)

Can anyone say if this unit will work on a petrol engine before i chance buggering my flywheel ring gear ?

I know i should know the answer but all foolish questions require affirmation :) :)

Not sure if the diesel one will work, most likely fit OK, but may not engage, parts cat gives different numbers for petrol and diesel starters.

Probably worth a try. Take the petrol one out and compare side by side. If the bendix has the same number of teeth you're well on the way if not stop here. It is quite likely the diesel starter will have a higher torque spec than the petrol one (perhaps with inbuild reduction gearing) making it compatible but more expensive (which is why its not fitted as stock to the petrols).