Lovells Springs for 110 - any advices?

Hi there,

Friend of mine is running Defender 110 hard top.

Reecently he installed a HD coil springs and he noticed that the car is getting a bit lower at the back than at the front.

Initialy, it was OK, but now - like two months after, the imbalance is quite obvious.

He was thinging about replacing the standard HD coil springs with Lovells Springs that he found here: http://www.maddison4x4.com/component/optio...id,11/Itemid,8/

Anybody has any experience with those?

Or any advice on the "low-back" effect with the standard HD springs?

Thanks in advance,

Tomas

unusual for a genuine HD Land Rover spring to sag. Are you sure it's a genuine Spring ?

FWIW, genuine HD linear rate springs for a 110 Defender, pre about '03/'04 are 330 lb/in. Defender 130's use these with a 140 lb/in inner spring, giving a combined rate of 470 lb/in, and those Lovells coils are a claimed 493 lb/in

Lovells are a decent spring, but if you can get Eibach in the right size/rate they will leave all other springs for dead.

Thanks rick,

Those prings came from paddockspares.com

I got mine (for my 90) there too and I had the same problem. In few weeks the car was appointing its nose to the sky. I had to supply about 2.5 cm spacers under the real springs to even the car again.

Thanks for the advice on the Lovells and Eibach. I'll advice my friend and consider them for my seleves too.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Tomas, I have the same problem on my 110 Station with the HD coil spring from Paddockspares which I have fit 2 week ago. I think that the coil springs at Paddocks are no genuine Parts because there was a Britpart Lable on it "Britpart corresponding to NRCxxxx".

At the moment I don't know it I put spacers under the rear springs or if I buy a new set of coil springs :angry:

regards,

Markus

I put Britpart Springs on the back of my '93 Disco from Paddocks. At first they were great, but after 5000 miles, they are worse than the ones I removed, loads of body roll and a saggy rear end. The ones I used were ANR4491 Police spec HD rear springs for 90, Disco and RR. Ive now changed them out for Bearmach blue ones which so far are much better.

Chris

At the moment I don't know it I put spacers under the rear springs or if I buy a new set of coil springs :angry:

regards,

Markus

Marcus,

Yes, my friend's (with 110) were HD Britpart and mine (90) were HD Britpart too. My friend is going for new ones - not sure which one finally. But I'll post an update as soon as he can say if the new ones are any better.

In my case, I made 2 cm spacers from rectangle profile 1.5 mm steel. I know - not really fancy and no way any profi, but no budget and no time to go around the whole car again now. There are more urgent things to do at the moment.

Tomas

I had Paddock HD rear springs on my 110 and they sagged in a year or so. I have gone over to Britpart yellows front and rear now. It sits slightly rear up unloaded and nigh on level loaded. For the money I am well pleased - £200 4springs & 4dampers. For pure offroad use I would prefer something a bit softer like the progressive TD5 spec std spring or the 280lb OMEmu ones.

Will :)