Do I need a new 1

Guest WALFY

Guest WALFY

Well the alt finaly gave up last week, charge light on permanently. So off to Lucas to buy a new brush pack. Fitted it today and the charge light is on 1/2 brightness, voltage is showing 12.3 on tickover and 13.6 under load. Also the tachometer doesn't want to play anymore. When you start the engine it jumps to 800/900 then just goes back to sitting on 000 when it's running.

Do I just need it rewound or a new 1. Anyone know of any place capable in Warminster/Westbury/Trowbridge area.

TIA

It's normally the regulator/rectifier pack that gets toasted when you dunk the alternator in water. The early type alternators were as cheap as Mohammeds chips to fix, not too sure about the posh ones, but generally it's cheaper to fix than replace.

Les.

Not sure that there is much to go wrong beyond what you have done Mark. Try taking the alternator apart and making sure the commutator is clean and that there is not carbon built-up between the rings. You could probably put a meter across the windings too in order to make sure that they are OK but I cannot see that they could suffer anything other than mechanical damage - dry joints excepted. When you re-fit the alternator, make sure that it is well earthed to the engine.

Chris

I'm no pro, but that sounds like a fault in the diode pack, after all, you've replaced the regulator and brush pack, so its unlikely to be that.

Explore recon exchange, against handing yours in for repair.

In a fix, i handed mine over to an auto-electrician who basically rebuilt it, and charged me £65 for the privilidge, I was without workshop or tools so couldn't do it myself. the repair meant three days with no alternator - hill bump starts (easy in Sheffield) and not driving at night....

On a seperate occasion, i had more time and was able to get an exchange unit, off the shelf, for £45.

Guest WALFY

Will take it off tomorrow and have a look, but I hate electrics with a passion. Perhaps because I haven't got a clue what I'm on about. Will prob make a few calls tomorrow and take the easy route. Not ideal but with my level of knowledge it's the sensible thing to do. Unless you are offering Chris :D . I do have tea and lots of biscuits.

If it will wait until next week Mark I am happy to come and offer moral support, limited knowledge and over confidence. This week I have too much going on - and off Friday to France again...

Chris

Guest WALFY

Chris

Need to get it sorted ASAP. If I can't get it done this week I'll give you a bell.

As a side note, we'll have to get together and go out on the Plain sometime. I've been here nearly 4 months and I havent used your knowledge yet. I keep doing the same lanes cos I know they are legal and easy.

Guest WALFY

Wednesdays are sports days so finish about noon and Fri is 9 times out of 10 a 1/2 day. Well knock off about 11ish. Will get back to you when I know I have nowt else on.

Guest WALFY

Went to an auto electritian today. Went through the process of checks and I need a new alt. Will a Disco 300 TDI alt fit my Disco 200 TDI engine. I think I still have the standard alt fitted (looking at pics of standard new 1's online) so will take the oppotunity to upgrade whilst I'm at it. If so where is the best place to get 1.

Guest WALFY

If you think I'm going to the back end of beyond to get some bits you are mistaken. Anyway how do you know that it's worth nicking. Why would I steal lower grade bits off a white shed. Better off with nowt than than cheap cheese parts :D :D :D

Well Mr Walfy the Alternator is only a year old brand new not recon Disco 100amp variant and you'll have to make an appearance here sometime as I still have the CB antenna that I'm now going to bend in the vice :)

and Mr CatflapnowbeingtakenapartagainafternevergettingcompletedHenson it is so beaten up due to poor co drivers

not looking out properly.

PS I moved it 20 mts up a gravelled slope today

doesn't sound much but with no front wheels on it it was quite a task.