Tube notcher

I had a play with it today after buying the wrong size holesaw :angry: , so had to tart it up with the angle grinder to get it half decent. I started with using a rechargeable drill, but it flattened the battery before I had done half of it, so I resorted to a normal mains drill on slow speed, which did the job fine with plenty of cutting spray. The holesaw is made by 'Stern' - at too slow speeds it catches and jumps, but with the mains drill it was smoother.

I clamped the pipe in the vice and then fixed the notcher to the tubing after removing the foot as Si had done.

The tubing I bought is actually 48mm O/D, but the reciept says 40mm, so I had a 41mm holesaw which was too small, but some work with an angle grinder got a good fit. The metal was cleaned with a flap wheel in an angle grinder (I bought another one while I was out). The first weld I did was seriously pants, so I cleaned it back off with the grinder and tried again. The weld in the picture is my second attempt and doesn't look too bad I suppose. More practice still :(

Anyway, yet more pics of my shallow learning curve :)

post-2-1182193787_thumb.jpg

post-2-1182193888_thumb.jpg

post-2-1182193994_thumb.jpg

post-2-1182194140_thumb.jpg

post-2-1182194236_thumb.jpg

post-2-1182194325_thumb.jpg

post-2-1182194413_thumb.jpg

post-2-1182194547_thumb.jpg

More practice, more practice, more practice :)

Les.

Well, had a play today as i received some fresh hole saws. But :rolleyes: The Hole Saw 2" and 1 1/2" are too short, when cutting the same diameter pipe. They bottom out before completing the notch:angry: Even, to cut a staight 90* notch ;)

But the actual bit of kit works well, especially for the cost :D

Hole saw length is gonna prevent the amount of angle you can achieve though. May of need a little more travel between the clamp and hole saw mount?

post-604-1182374890_thumb.jpg

post-604-1182374904_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...