Help! Help! to set valve timing

elmscroft

Hi All,

Have just taken over an engine rebuild, 1.8 petrol, after main dealer stripped it down, then tried to rip a friend off. Timing belt had been removed.

Have got most things back together, but on fitting the crankshaft pulley have found it does'nt line up with timing mark, neither do the cam shaft sprockets.

Is it possible to move each shaft a bit at a time by hand until marks line up?

Any ideas, advice or help would be very much appriecated.

Many Thanks

Mike

Yes you can, but the crank must be out of the way in order to turn the cams individually. Put the crank timing mark 90deg out and then set the cams. You may find you have to jiggle the various sprockets to get everything to line-up as it should be. The valves are very small, so if you get valve to piston contact - don't push your luck as they can bend very easily.

Freelander timing belt change if you need it:-

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=9652

Les.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that when the crank timing marks are aligned on a K-series engine all the pistons are halfway up/down in the bores......or to put it another way, no piston is at TDC. You can then turn the cams without a problem.

Safest way would be to remove cams so all the valve are shut then turn crank and refit cams afterwards.

You may well be right Andy. A thin rod down the plug 'ole of 1 and 2 would confirm that, in which case it would be fine to turn the cams to their respective positions.

Les.

Thanks guys,

Crankshaft was 180 degrees out on timing mark, but in line now. Took care , but didn't hit any valves, then moved camshaft without any collisions. Strange. Will keep you posted how I get on.

Many Thanks

Mike

:D Hi,

Just to let you know Freelander started first time, with no bangs or clatters, and running nice. ABS light is on, but some where it says is may go out above 5mph, which I can't do as daughters car is on axle stands in front. Just got to get a dipstick and cam cover breather hose.

So for those out there told by a main dealer your Freelander needs a new engine take heart. I have't done anything like this before. I invested in a haynes manual, read it and read it again, took advice given by kind people on ths forum and repaired it so far, for about £100.

Many Many thanks to all

Mike

• 2 years later...