V8 pipework in series

teedee88

Hi to you all.

I have a 88 ser2 fitted with 3.5v8 on SU carbs, all fitted by previous owner. when I purchased the vehicle it was came with a "defender" type front end, full width radiator, with single electric fan.

In an effort to make the vehicle look more standard, I have fitted a ser2 front panel, fitted a shorter spindle water pump which has allowed me to install a ser3 3core rad in its standard position. I have sourced and fitted a single electric fan and shroud, (in front of radiator and behind the grille) the fan is a "sucker"type. The expansion bottle is a standard LR black plastic type with screw cap. The pipe from the"overflow" outlet (by rad cap) is connected to top of expansion bottle.

I have soldered an extra 8mm dia outlet in the header or the radiator, for connecting to the inlet manifold.

So basically I would like to know what else should I do, and how to fill the sytem without getting air locks. All advice and suggestions gratefully received.

teedee

I have sourced and fitted a single electric fan and shroud, (in front of radiator and behind the grille) the fan is a "sucker"type.

Either you've got descriptions a different way round to what I'm used to or your fan will be shooting a lovely warm jet of air in front of the vehicle :blink: do you mean it sucks air through the grille and blows air through the rad into the engine bay (as it should)?

For filling you could use an X-switch in the top hose and just undo the switch to fill the system

Red+Blu%20Lo.jpg

Having been there I'd suggest what you do is refit the defender front end and bigger rad. A series radiator is only just up to cooling the V8 on the road, and on a hot day, or with hard off road use it will overheat! For this reason I eventually gave up with the series rad and fitted a 90 front end and full width rad!

Just fill and bleed in the normal way will be fine. However you need a different fan as Fridge says unless we've all got the wrong end of the stick!

Jon

Defender front end? Wash your mouth out Mr White! :P

You can fit a decent sized rad in without changing the front panel, just chop all the cowling off the back of it and fit the biggest you can find - mine's sherpa-sized although there's not much Sherpa to it.

post-21-1183469266_thumb.jpg

You can fit a decent sized rad in without changing the front panel, just chop all the cowling off the back of it and fit the biggest you can find - mine's sherpa-sized although there's not much Sherpa to it.

What he says. Defender rad with series front.

Ah yes Mr Utteridge, but you dont have a steering relay unit in the way anymore!

I prefer the defender front anyway.........

My V8's coming out soon anyway in favour of an oil burner....

Jon

Ah yes Mr Utteridge, but you dont have a steering relay unit in the way anymore!

No, I have a PAS box directly underneath it :unsure: TBH I reckon I've got no more or less room than standard, mind you it's so long since I've seen anything standard :lol:

I prefer the defender front anyway.........

Heretic! :o

My V8's coming out soon anyway in favour of an oil burner....

Double heretic! :rtfm:

Just a thought, would a 4core radiator make much difference to the cooling, and is a thermostat necessary/ advisable ?

I wouldn't go to a lot of expense to buy a 4-core rad when you could spend a bit more and get something much bigger stuck in there, if you find one cheap then every little helps.

A thermostat is most certainly advisable, as I understand it the cooling system needs the back pressure due to the restriction created by the stat to prevent hot spots forming in the block.