Greetings from South Africa

CBR

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to say "Hi" and introduce myself.

My name is Chris and I live in Centurion, South Africa (just to the south of Pretoria). I LOVE my Disco (and Landy's in General) and my interest include Scuba Diving, Flying, Amateur Photography (with the focus on AMATEUR ;) ) and 4x4-ing.

My Disco has done about 270 000, but is unfortunatly due for a little engine rebuild (due to a coolant leak into the No 6 Combustion Chamber via the block/liner) (see post under the Discovery Section) . However, the car is still perfectly drivable and goes like a train, but I don't want to drive her too much until I can get her sorted.

The car is pretty much standard, with the following exceptions:

Tyres: BF Goodridge A/T's (245/60) (Probably the best A/T tyre for African conditions, IMHO)

Exhaust: No Cats, and Wildcat Branches with Free-flow exhaust (sounds NICE!) :i-m_so_happy:

ECU: Dastek UNICHIP Piggy-Back Computer

Bullbar: LR Discovery Tubular Bullbar/Bushbar

Aux Lights: LR Auxilary Driving Lights (hmmm, can't recall the model number now . . . :unsure: )

Stuff that I still want to do:

>Have the Transfer Case Hi-Lo Selection Gearshift linkage replaced with the 2003+MY in order to restore the functionality of my CDL (the actual CDL is present, just the linkage is not fitted)

>Sometimes I am considdering putting on a Snorkel

>Set of nice Melville & Moon Seat Covers (or something similar)

Otherwise, I :wub: my Disco to bits - it may be temperamental at times, but it's a Love-Hate relationship that I won't change for any other SUV on the planet! (I'm sure you guys know what I'm talking about).

I hope to be able to actively contribute to this forum while I'm sure I'll be learning a LOT too!!

So, any other SA manne here? :)

Cheers

>Have the Transfer Case Hi-Lo Selection Gearshift linkage replaced with the 2003+MY in order to restore the functionality of my CDL (the actual CDL is present, just the linkage is not fitted)

not sure how much the total cost/shipping will be but Ashcroft Transmissons here in the UK, do a kit to enable the CDL on your DiscoveryII

more info here

Welcome to LR4x4x too :D

...not sure how much the total cost/shipping will be but Ashcroft Transmissons here in the UK, do a kit to enable the CDL on your DiscoveryII...

Thanks for the info Western. :i-m_so_happy: I'll definately get in touch with them when I finally get around to do that!

Cheers

CBR

Hi Chris

I am a saffa, but living in the UK at the moment. More of a series guy myself, but have been having thoughts on getting a disco lately, trying very hard not to succumb and get my poor landy back on the road instaead.. :rolleyes:

Chris

Howzit Bru!

Yup, Im a South African, living in England right now....just joined the wonderful world of Land Rovers a few weeks ago, and loving it!! :rolleyes: Got a great big shiny black 300 TDi Defender that is just itching to be driven up Sani Pass and around the 'Berg (my favourite place in the whole world. Period)

Welcome to the forum by the way!

Martin

post-3030-1183587147_thumb.jpg

Hi there guts,

Yup, living down in KZN. Grew up (not too long ago) in the Natal midlands/Drakensberg area. Moved to Durbs to study Mech Eng and got a job there, spent 2 years working there and then moved to Richardsbay about six months ago. Not the greatest town on earth - a little dead here but there are some nice activities/places in close driving distance; plus I have a pretty cool job that pays the bills.

mmmm........Landies........ I 95% rebuilt a series 109" pickup and ended up not getting it to licencing - terrible I know. But I ran out of time and money and havent been able to get round to it for the last three years. The result is that ist been standing in that state and it doesnt look great. But its still a nice vehicle. Anyway, as much as I hate to admit it, I think the best thing is to sell my series 1 and to build a derangy (a range rover chassis with a land rover body on) aka 100" hybrid. I have met a few people that have built these and a very good friend of mine built one about ten or twelve years back - before anyone had ever started speaking about them. He sold the vehicle and has regretted it ever since, but he has built another and loves it. The reason for my decision is that I cant afford to have 2 4x4's and unfortunately the series ones take it out on you one the road, 100km in a series one feels like 300km in another vehicle; Id like to do some overlanding in the vehicle so I guess the series one isnt really an option huh.

Im considering putting a Japanese import Diesel engine in to try and contain my fuel costs! If anyone knows anything about which diesels are good, cheap and reliable please let me know.

Otherwise, nice to hear from some local boys!

Cheers

Speak to Brian on 083 709 8505 about your problem. We have just fixed a Disco V8 with the leaking sleeve problem, had to import the sleeves from Turner's in the UK. Brian will let you know how much to do the CDL.

Or you can e-mail him on workshop@landyonline.co.za

We are near Lanseria just down the road from Centurion.