Thys

Hi,

I am new to this forum so let me introduce my Discovery and myself. I am the proud owner of a 1996 Discovery I, 300 Tdi Automatic, the two door body, with 175000 km on the odometer. I bought her from the second owner who looked after her very well. I live in South Africa, but discovered that my Discovery was not brought to SA by Land Rover SA. She was bought in London at Stratstone of Mayfair, then moved on to Oslo in Norway and eventually to South Africa by the original owner, who later sold her to the second owner.

She has the two manually operated sunroofs, the Land Rover radio-tape deck, with remote buttond on the sides of the instument binacle, cental locking and the Cats security system. No electric windows or mirrors. Diff lock Hi and Lo and normal Hi an Lo range. The rims are the standard white steel Land Rover rims. Now this is what I like about my Discovery, the simplicity, no fancy electronics, driving aids or engine management systems. It is a go-anywhere, can run on any diesel, and field repairs would be possible.

Breakdowns to date? None! Problems? Some; A whinning tranfer box, but fully operational, the passanger door locking mechanisim playing up on occasion, and the lack of response from the remote if parked near a cell phone mast, under a steel roof or near modern cars, including the Discovery 3 and Freelander 2, but the pure enjoyment from driving her makes up for the pccasional niggles.

The diesel consumption on the open road at a cruising speed of 110 -120 km/h varies from 10.12 to 9.8 litres/100 km. Peak hour traffic in town at 6 km per trip returns 12 - 13.56 litres/100 km.

Thats my Land Rover. I like classic cars and is involved with the Mercedes Benz Club of South Africa (....yes I am in the process of applying for membership of the Land Rover Owners Club of nSouthb Africa...) with my 1971 W114.

Welcome to the forum,

I may well be wrong but as a UK spec 300TDi Auto, you may find that you do actually have engine management as I believe that it should be fitted with an EDC injection pump and therfore has a flyby wire throttle. Well at least mine did :ph34r: .

Pete.

]

Welcome to the forum,

I may well be wrong but as a UK spec 300TDi Auto, you may find that you do actually have engine management as I believe that it should be fitted with an EDC injection pump and therfore has a flyby wire throttle. Well at least mine did :ph34r: .

Pete.

Hi Pete,

I checked, there is one mean throttle cable linked directly from the accelerator to the diesel injector pump, the system is as machanical as one can get, the only electric part being the fuel cut off.

As seen on the attached photo the only modification was the addition of a second deep cycle battery. The previous owner had it fitted by removing the window washer reservior. I have since re-installed and re-instated the window washer system, looking for an alternative position for the washer reservior. I noted that the Discovery II V8's has the washer reservior installed inside the left front fender. This option looks feasable to me?

I installed an engine monitoring system called The Little Black Box model EMSIV, and to date am happy with having the piece of mind of an individual engine temperature and coolant level monitor, the oil pressure and altenator charge/fan belt monitoring is handy as well.

post-4154-1184266983_thumb.jpg

Thys,

That's good as the parts for the EDC kit can be quite expensive.

On mine I had a cable from the throttle pedal to the injection pump but that is for the kick down as it only went to a bell-crank mounted on the pump and then back to the gearbox. I have since retro-fitted a mechanical pump and I now have two cables :D .

Pete.