Need New Door Tops?

sea daddy

I was planning on replacing the window channels on my 79 S3 LWB Santana, but when I pulled the existing channels on the first door, I found a significant amount of rust. I have not heard much about the Rocky Mountain Aluminum Door tops, but am now considering the upgrade to get away from the rust problem.

Anybody had any experience with the RM door tops or any other brand? I am hesitant to put the money into rehabing the existing door tops when I can get away from rust (with the aluminum) all together. Any comments or advice is much appreciated. Thanks.

SD

• 3 weeks later...
I was planning on replacing the window channels on my 79 S3 LWB Santana, but when I pulled the existing channels on the first door, I found a significant amount of rust. I have not heard much about the Rocky Mountain Aluminum Door tops, but am now considering the upgrade to get away from the rust problem.

Anybody had any experience with the RM door tops or any other brand? I am hesitant to put the money into rehabing the existing door tops when I can get away from rust (with the aluminum) all together. Any comments or advice is much appreciated. Thanks.

SD

If you buy RM door tops you will never have to buy another pair,however they are IMO bloody expensive.

Option 2 ; buy £18 unglazed door tops from JC or the other lot and you can afford to replace them every 3 years for the next 30 and still save money.

I nearly bought RM door tops at Old Sod a few years ago.They look very good.

I ended up buying a pair of second hand all aluinium military defender door tops.

Not much cheaper than new RM ones,but I perfered the catch mechanism on the defender ones.

I have bought a set of the RM doortops for my 68 IIa. The quality is impeccable. And the price was not that bad IMHO. I chhecked the usual stateside suppliers on glass, channels, moldings, and seals. Not including metal, just the parts alone was almost two thirds the cost of the complete RM pieces. When I looked at sending good quality door tops from the UK, the cost for post made the RM's a good deal.