Lightweight vent panel

mogsy

HI,

I am about to renew the bulkhead to vent panel seal and have noticed the rust on the lower edge of the pane. The panel looks in good condition apart from this corrosion, see the pictures.

Is this just a metal strip that sits on top of the foam or is it the lower edge rusting away. Does any one have a picture they could mail me showing the lower underneath of the panel that I can use to fabricate a repair.post-4135-1186580852_thumb.jpg

post-4135-1186580919_thumb.jpg

HI,

I am about to renew the bulkhead to vent panel seal and have noticed the rust on the lower edge of the pane. The panel looks in good condition apart from this corrosion, see the pictures.

Is this just a metal strip that sits on top of the foam or is it the lower edge rusting away. Does any one have a picture they could mail me showing the lower underneath of the panel that I can use to fabricate a repair.post-4135-1186580852_thumb.jpg

post-4135-1186580919_thumb.jpg

Those vent panels rot really badly, replacements are stupid money (£700 :blink: ) although you may have caught it early. Best bet is either the Lightweight owners club who I believe may do repair sections or a guy on the EMLRA forum who is looking at getting whole thing copied. Excuse to join both!

Mine was a LOT worse than that, and managed to fabricate a panel -to be honest, yours looks like you should be able to remove it, de-rust it, paint and re-fit.... honestly it does NOT look bad!

Mine took 2 days of fabrication to fix, one layer of the bottom metal was basically missing, and 90% of the front curved bit beneath the vents.....

Needless to say it is now anti-rust primered, and lots of top coats to protect, oh, and waxoyl in the cavity behind the curved bit below the vents....

Hope that helps a bit, I unfortunately don'y have any pics of it off the vehicle :(

Mine was a LOT worse than that, and managed to fabricate a panel -to be honest, yours looks like you should be able to remove it, de-rust it, paint and re-fit.... honestly it does NOT look bad!

Mine took 2 days of fabrication to fix, one layer of the bottom metal was basically missing, and 90% of the front curved bit beneath the vents.....

Needless to say it is now anti-rust primered, and lots of top coats to protect, oh, and waxoyl in the cavity behind the curved bit below the vents....

Hope that helps a bit, I unfortunately don'y have any pics of it off the vehicle :(

Many thanks for that info, I will take it off at the weekend and see how good/bad it is.