Wiring headlights via relay

I am planning to use mmgemeni wiring for headlights in an attempt to overcome my woes. One quick question though - I have put a plate on my NS wing exactly as suggested so wiring run to NS headlamp is a doddle.

Am I best routing the OS headlamp back up NS wing to the bulkhead, across the back and then down the OS wing, or is there a better/shorter route?

Thanks

Malcy

Thanks

Across the front - do you mean across the top of the viscous fan cowl? I had wondered if that whole area might get a bit too hot from the radiator.

All my lights seem to be going haywire and suspected some charring somewhere but cannot find problem. Am going to try and get it into local indie LR garage since I am getting out of my depth. Protecting the switch wiring with relays sounds quite a reasonable idea - particularly now I know what a relay is - and thanks for your earlier help on that front too!!

Best wishes

Malcy

You won't have any problems running wires along there, as long as you secure them well. it doesn't get hot enough to melt the insulation.

using relays is a good idea, but if the original wiring is shorting to something or going open circuit, it'll still affect the relay in much the same way as it's currently affecting the lights.

Aye. I had worked that one out but then that was why I had decided to resort to garage since I cannot find problem.

Adding the relays was as much as anything a longer term enhancement.

I will make sure my mini loom is held in securely with cable ties.

Thanks

Malcy

I did the same lighting up-grade on my 130 and ran the wires along the top of the bulkhead.

Reason being that on occasions it's nessesary to remove the radiator etc at the front of the car and who wants to work around a load of un-nessesary wires?

Fit them to the bulkhead and you'll not have to touch them again. You can make up a little water deflector to house above the relays too.

Regards.

S.

Fair enough, did you increase the wire size to account for the voltage drop over the increased length? afterall, using relays is partly to counteract the voltage drop through the LR loom and the LR switch.

I'd just unplug the wires, along with the other bits that have to come off if you want access to the front of the car.

'morning all.

My headlight wiring goes across the bottom of the front panel in front of the radiator.

IIRC there is a hole on the inside of the front wing. I fitted a grommet in there and took the wires across. I wrapped my wires in spiral wrap.

I do have an advantage in using thet way/ I have the brackets for the gearbox oil cooler in there. The wires are Tywrapped to those brackets.

There is also room to take the wiring across the top of the front panel in front of the radiator where the horn wiring is.

The way I've got the fuses fitted also helps to save the main loom from damage by fire !! should you have a head on of some type and the wires get damaged.

mike

Fair enough, did you increase the wire size to account for the voltage drop over the increased length? afterall, using relays is partly to counteract the voltage drop through the LR loom and the LR switch.

I'd just unplug the wires, along with the other bits that have to come off if you want access to the front of the car.

Most of my wiring is relatively new & yes...the cable used would have been of a higher capacity than the standard Rover types used.

If truth be told...JW actually did the wiring whilst I was fiddling around with something else.

I hear what you're saying Mike....all Defenders are different. My front end has a/c condensor, twin fans, oil coolers etc.

Keeping wires away from work areas within the engine bay is something I've picked up from constantly stripping down the front end of the Saluki.....it's not very often I have to play with cables if they are pinned up out of harms way.

I also make habit of sleeving each set of wires in their own wrapping(whether it be tape or spiral wrap)...it makes life easier if I have to trace them back etc.

Regards.

S.

I also make habit of sleeving each set of wires in their own wrapping(whether it be tape or spiral wrap)...it makes life easier if I have to trace them back etc.

Regards.

S.

I agree with you on the above, I'm re-doing my looms as we speak! Spiral wrap is far easier to work with, looks neater, expandable, easier to access during trouble shooting and cleaning. Ty-wraps to mounts much easier, you can make a very clean looking wire run across the bulkead, no interference with the front.

T